Scary Thought

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrJ2B

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

For some reason, I have recently been hit by a very scary notion. What if someone gets accepted to his #1 choice but cannot go because his finances do not work out well (whether it is too much that loans cannot cover it but more importantly that personal expenses like rent/food/utilities/car will become a huge issue)? I want to write a letter of intent to UPenn and every time I start thinking about how to say what I want, I get that feeling and I stop. I would be totally crushed if I could not go if the miracle happened that I got in. If I write a letter of intent, does that necessarily mean that I may not get as much fin aid/grants because UPenn does not have to entice me with monetary incentives to come there in the fall? I am so scared about this. I have done about all I can to show how much I want to go. I want to send a letter of intent but not if it may work in my disfavor. Any advice? :(

Members don't see this ad.

Don't write the letter unless you are 100% sure.

If you are 100% sure, I am 100% sure there will be enough loan money to cover everything you need. Everything you want might be hard depending on the school... you might have more debt than is ideal, but if its your first choice who cares?

I am 200% sure I want to go there. It is my top choice by far! It is such an expensive school. I do not mind the loans. I just want to be relatively comfortable, not having to worry so much about finances during medical school. I have had to worry about this through undergrad (NYU +pissed+ ). I love UPenn and would go there at the drop of a pin. I just cannot help but worry because nothing is ever easy for me. Something always has to ruin the silver lining! :(

Members don't see this ad :)
DrJ2B,
Don't worry about it. There are always ways to pay for medical school. Loans.....loans.....more loans....private loans....more private loans....solicitation :rolleyes: .....

I would submit the LOI to Penn. You are absolutely sure you want to go there...and the fin aid office will have no idea that you are willing to sell a few limbs to get there. Fin aid at Penn (IMHO) is pretty good....I did my Post-Bacc and now am doing my Masters and have no ill will towards them....till this semester....but that's another issue!! From what I heard at the Med School, their Fin Aid office is just as nice with counselors trying to work with you as much as they can. Remember, if they offered you an acceptance they want you to attend the school too, and if that means they have to find tons of loan programs for you then it's no skin off their back....but they will do it.

Philly is a pretty good city to live in....a relatively low cost of living, especially compared to NYC. I personally do not like the University City housing. I have family and friends down there so I know the area well. It's not a safety issue, it's a rodent issue....their roaches are too big for me. (Same reason why I am afraid to go back to some areas in FL, some of their roaches fly?? I have serious issues with roaches...how do you kill something that can withstand radiation?? Cats! I can take anything else!!---ok..getting off topic here....) Not to mention, I rode on PT all through my youth, and now that I have a car I can't stand the waiting..etc....and parking down by Penn is not the best. Do not be concerned about rent/utilities/food....yadda....yadda....yadda....if you have been struggling like me for these past years.....four more will not make it that bad....that which does not kill you only makes you stronger. :D

By the way......accomplishments feel so much better when they don't come easy! Let the silver lining get ruined....mine has been tarnished so many times it's not even funny.....look forward to the challenges you have ahead, it will only make you a better and stronger person. You will develop something that many lack....perseverance! Now....I better get a post or a PM from you saying you sent that LOI by next Wednesday or I will head up to NYC my own dang self and show you what a ruined silver lining is!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ... :idea: or I could just send my momma...she can lay down a serious smackdown....but I don't think you want me to take it that far!

I will have it sent by next Tuesday! Move back from the phone! Do not call momma! :laugh:

Thanks so much for your advice. I think I was just over-reacting. I would just be so crushed if I could not go to my dream school because of extraneous circumstances.

Originally posted by DrJ2B
I will have it sent by next Tuesday! Move back from the phone! Do not call momma! :laugh:

Thanks so much for your advice. I think I was just over-reacting. I would just be so crushed if I could not go to my dream school because of extraneous circumstances.

i hope you get in to....

hope you are saving some money tho...cause in the asian tradition if you get in...you gotta celebrate by taking out all of us sdnners that have been rooting for ya!

dont worry...you only have to pay for the first 3 rounds:D