Thoughts on Neomed (from students here, physicians, adcoms, etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Happysappyyappy

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Y'all how are we doing? This is my first post here, as I managed to stay away from all the Reddit and SDN hype throughout the cycle. Based on that, I hope I don't come off as overzealous in this post or naive. I didn't have the best cycle (I hope this isn't sounding ungrateful), but I did get into a medical school and a bunch of holds/hold IIs. My alma mater was tOSU, and the school I got into was NEOMED. Now I am super duper grateful to get into a medical school. I know the statistic is 60% dont each cycle. So the joy I feel is amazing. But I wanted to know what the opinion of NEOMED was. It seems to get mixed reviews from the students I have asked who go there, as well as online reviews and rankings.

So my question is, what is the general opinion of NEOMED? It seems like an up-and-coming program with all the changes they have made, removing BSMD, increasing the early assurance MCAT requirement, renovating their campus, etc.

The reason I am asking this is that I really, really dream of doing orthopaedic surgery. I saw that NEOMED has a home ortho-surg residency partnership with Summa, but I also saw that their matchlists trend-wise have not matched many people to orthopaedic surgery. I know it is dependent on scores, performance, and maybe frankly, people didn't want to do orthopaedic surgery, but I am curious as to my chances of matching in the future (I understand that it is what you make of medical school, scores, performance, research access, honoring surgery, networking, etc.). But I don't know if NEOMED has the networking and resource infrastructure to make this more possible.

I saw that USMD's match at 73% into orthosurg based on NMRP data. NEOMED in 2020 matched 1 to ortho, 10 to gen surg, and one to neuro, vascular, and urology; 2021 3 to ortho, 8 into gen surg, 3 urology, 1 plastic surgery, 1 neurosurgery; 2022 5 ortho, 5 gen surg, 3 urology, 1 thoracic; 2023 4 ortho, 2 plastic, 7 gen surg, 3 urology, 1 vascular surgery; 4 ortho, 1 plastic, 4 general surg; 2025 5 ortho, 5 gen surg, 3 urology, 1 thoracic surgery. Based on this, they obviously do match ortho surgery, and their average class size was 130-150, so I don't know if that makes the numbers better. I'm excited to see this year's match list, but I was curious on y'alls thoughts. I mentioned above, I know it is a lot on me/the student, but when I compare to many other DOs around the country and MDs (in this state), they match more ortho surgery (idk if it is because they have huge class sizes or are looked at better), and it makes me wish I applied more broadly to these DO schools in addition to all the MDs I applied to.

Again, do not want to seem naive, entitled, or out-of-touch, but I did want to get perspectives on the quality/strength of NEOMED as it seems to get mixed reviews. Thanks for all the opinions and help, y'all! Really happy to be in this forum!
 
The reason I am asking this is that I really, really dream of doing orthopaedic surgery. I saw that NEOMED has a home ortho-surg residency partnership with Summa, but I also saw that their matchlists trend-wise have not matched many people to orthopaedic surgery. I know it is dependent on scores, performance, and maybe frankly, people didn't want to do orthopaedic surgery, but I am curious as to my chances of matching in the future (I understand that it is what you make of medical school, scores, performance, research access, honoring surgery, networking, etc.). But I don't know if NEOMED has the networking and resource infrastructure to make this more possible.

I saw that USMD's match at 73% into orthosurg based on NMRP data. NEOMED in 2020 matched 1 to ortho, 10 to gen surg, and one to neuro, vascular, and urology; 2021 3 to ortho, 8 into gen surg, 3 urology, 1 plastic surgery, 1 neurosurgery; 2022 5 ortho, 5 gen surg, 3 urology, 1 thoracic; 2023 4 ortho, 2 plastic, 7 gen surg, 3 urology, 1 vascular surgery; 4 ortho, 1 plastic, 4 general surg; 2025 5 ortho, 5 gen surg, 3 urology, 1 thoracic surgery. Based on this, they obviously do match ortho surgery, and their average class size was 130-150, so I don't know if that makes the numbers better. I'm excited to see this year's match list, but I was curious on y'alls thoughts. I mentioned above, I know it is a lot on me/the student, but when I compare to many other DOs around the country and MDs (in this state), they match more ortho surgery (idk if it is because they have huge class sizes or are looked at better), and it makes me wish I applied more broadly to these DO schools in addition to all the MDs I applied to.
Matching also has a lot to do with personal choice so looking at match lists you have to take that into consideration. It’s reassuring that NEOMED students seems to be matching more into ortho each year since 2020. Five is pretty good in my opinion. Don’t sweat it much, you will find where you want to go if you put the work in and find the right mentors. Some schools simply have more students that are interested into ortho, doesn’t mean they are leaps and bounds above NEO
 
Welcome to the forums.

I wouldn't describe NEOMED as "up and coming." They have a specific mission to address healthcare needs in underserved communities throughout Ohio, especially in eastern Appalachia and the rusty rust belt between Youngstown and Akron/Canton (see the history). Generally, yes, they'll take anyone interested in serving anywhere in Ohio, and they have set up connections with the Cleveland Clinic and Miami University (near Dayton, kind of), so they have been expanding their reach. I think that bodes well for their reputation, and their students seem very good fits. But they have been around for a while, even if the dental school opened up just last year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Welcome to the forums.

I wouldn't describe NEOMED as "up and coming." They have a specific mission to address healthcare needs in underserved communities throughout Ohio, especially in eastern Appalachia and the rusty rust belt between Youngstown and Akron/Canton (see the history). Generally, yes, they'll take anyone interested in serving anywhere in Ohio, and they have set up connections with the Cleveland Clinic and Miami University (near Dayton, kind of), so they have been expanding their reach. I think that bodes well for their reputation, and their students seem very good fits. But they have been around for a while, even if the dental school opened up just last year.
Ig up and coming in terms of them opening new schools, expanding their partnerships a ton, removing their bsmd program, raising their mcat standards, raising GPA standard, and moving their early assurance standards from a 502 to a 510 mcat. It also seems like their class isn't just fully Ohio anymore, as it seems like it's 30-35% out of state (based on admit, MSAR's where the last class was all from, etc.).

"They'll take anyone interested in serving anywhere in Ohio." Does that mean this school isn't very competitive to get into, essentially? Especially when a solid chunk is from out of state now? Also, their match lists seem to be improving. They've had people match at Yale, Brigham, Johns Hopkins for IR, Walter Reed for Ortho, etc.

Ig, my main question is compared to like a Utoledo, Wright State, OU, and other DOs, do they have a negative against them/less likely to match ortho (especially looking at some DO match lists seeming better for ortho).
 
Matching also has a lot to do with personal choice so looking at match lists you have to take that into consideration. It’s reassuring that NEOMED students seems to be matching more into ortho each year since 2020. Five is pretty good in my opinion. Don’t sweat it much, you will find where you want to go if you put the work in and find the right mentors. Some schools simply have more students that are interested into ortho, doesn’t mean they are leaps and bounds above NEO
5 for a class of 138 I believe. They seem to do well at gen surg matches. I just don't know how to find mentors and stuff on day 1 that'll get me where I need to go for ortho.
 
Ig up and coming in terms of them opening new schools, expanding their partnerships a ton, removing their bsmd program, raising their mcat standards, raising GPA standard, and moving their early assurance standards from a 502 to a 510 mcat. It also seems like their class isn't just fully Ohio anymore, as it seems like it's 30-35% out of state (based on admit, MSAR's where the last class was all from, etc.).

"They'll take anyone interested in serving anywhere in Ohio." Does that mean this school isn't very competitive to get into, essentially? Especially when a solid chunk is from out of state now? Also, their match lists seem to be improving. They've had people match at Yale, Brigham, Johns Hopkins for IR, Walter Reed for Ortho, etc.

Ig, my main question is compared to like a Utoledo, Wright State, OU, and other DOs, do they have a negative against them/less likely to match ortho (especially looking at some DO match lists seeming better for ortho).
I can't speak for anyone who attends NEOMED. But I think you are confusing leadership decisions with the quality of your education, and they are unrelated. You are thinking that the school's mission reveals its lowering standards when the state's workforce needs are the issue.

Ohio in-state applicants have a plethora of options. There aren't enough Ohio applicants to create a 100% Ohio class. Blame our shrinking population.

I'll wait for students at NEOMED to chime in. From my perspective, NEOMED applicants aren't at a disadvantage in ortho. If you have a chance to visit for second-look, I'd ask questions.
 
5 for a class of 138 I believe. They seem to do well at gen surg matches. I just don't know how to find mentors and stuff on day 1 that'll get me where I need to go for ortho.
I looked at the 2025 match list myself. It is very similar to most match lists IMO. Many people going into IM, FM, and EM. They also matched into a lot of competitive specialties like IR, DR, and even 2 into derm. 5 into ortho is good considering a lot of other people got into very competitive specialties as well. I don't think going to NEOMED will hinder you at all. As for finding mentors, does NEOMED have a home ortho program? Reach out on day 1 to start shadowing any of the residents. Start asking any of the residents that are doing a research year if there is anything that you can help them out with. You have to put yourself out there to reap the benefits.

Ig up and coming in terms of them opening new schools, expanding their partnerships a ton, removing their bsmd program, raising their mcat standards, raising GPA standard, and moving their early assurance standards from a 502 to a 510 mcat. It also seems like their class isn't just fully Ohio anymore, as it seems like it's 30-35% out of state (based on admit, MSAR's where the last class was all from, etc.).

I mean, NEOMED's mission is to train physicians for Ohio but look at all the options that Ohioans have in the state. So it makes sense that they are accepting a few more people OOS. Can't be 100% all Ohio students.

"They'll take anyone interested in serving anywhere in Ohio." Does that mean this school isn't very competitive to get into, essentially? Especially when a solid chunk is from out of state now? Also, their match lists seem to be improving. They've had people match at Yale, Brigham, Johns Hopkins for IR, Walter Reed for Ortho, etc.

I think that what @Mr.Smile12 means by "They'll take anyone interested in serving anywhere in Ohio" it means that they are looking for students who are trying to fill the gaps in Ohio's underserved population. That being said, those students are likely not interested in doing ortho, which is why I mentioned that personal choice plays a major factor during the match process. Essentially, if I accept a lot of kids who are interested in primary care and internal medicine, that is likely the match list that I will end up with, which it is when you look at the data they post.

In summary, going to NEOMED won't hurt your chances of matching into ortho. It is largely up to you and your application.
 
Hi Y'all how are we doing? This is my first post here, as I managed to stay away from all the Reddit and SDN hype throughout the cycle. Based on that, I hope I don't come off as overzealous in this post or naive. I didn't have the best cycle (I hope this isn't sounding ungrateful), but I did get into a medical school and a bunch of holds/hold IIs. My alma mater was tOSU, and the school I got into was NEOMED. Now I am super duper grateful to get into a medical school. I know the statistic is 60% dont each cycle. So the joy I feel is amazing. But I wanted to know what the opinion of NEOMED was. It seems to get mixed reviews from the students I have asked who go there, as well as online reviews and rankings.

So my question is, what is the general opinion of NEOMED? It seems like an up-and-coming program with all the changes they have made, removing BSMD, increasing the early assurance MCAT requirement, renovating their campus, etc.

The reason I am asking this is that I really, really dream of doing orthopaedic surgery. I saw that NEOMED has a home ortho-surg residency partnership with Summa, but I also saw that their matchlists trend-wise have not matched many people to orthopaedic surgery. I know it is dependent on scores, performance, and maybe frankly, people didn't want to do orthopaedic surgery, but I am curious as to my chances of matching in the future (I understand that it is what you make of medical school, scores, performance, research access, honoring surgery, networking, etc.). But I don't know if NEOMED has the networking and resource infrastructure to make this more possible.

I saw that USMD's match at 73% into orthosurg based on NMRP data. NEOMED in 2020 matched 1 to ortho, 10 to gen surg, and one to neuro, vascular, and urology; 2021 3 to ortho, 8 into gen surg, 3 urology, 1 plastic surgery, 1 neurosurgery; 2022 5 ortho, 5 gen surg, 3 urology, 1 thoracic; 2023 4 ortho, 2 plastic, 7 gen surg, 3 urology, 1 vascular surgery; 4 ortho, 1 plastic, 4 general surg; 2025 5 ortho, 5 gen surg, 3 urology, 1 thoracic surgery. Based on this, they obviously do match ortho surgery, and their average class size was 130-150, so I don't know if that makes the numbers better. I'm excited to see this year's match list, but I was curious on y'alls thoughts. I mentioned above, I know it is a lot on me/the student, but when I compare to many other DOs around the country and MDs (in this state), they match more ortho surgery (idk if it is because they have huge class sizes or are looked at better), and it makes me wish I applied more broadly to these DO schools in addition to all the MDs I applied to.

Again, do not want to seem naive, entitled, or out-of-touch, but I did want to get perspectives on the quality/strength of NEOMED as it seems to get mixed reviews. Thanks for all the opinions and help, y'all! Really happy to be in this forum!
Live up to your username. Gobs of people would be thrilled to get your spot. Chances are you're going to change your mind about your career path anyway. Congratulations and don't forget to say thanks to the people who helped you get that acceptance.
 
With enough time on your hands, you can find some piece of information about any institution that will make your stomach churn.

My PTE school is one whose administration targeted a large percentage of their own students and accused them of violating academic integrity and put them through a wringer for weeks on end. It turned out to be a false alarm, but there are certain actions one takes that they can't take back. I've seen people say they would refuse to even apply here.

Another option is a school that is being heavily targeted by the Trump administration and has had a lot of its funding cut. It is a social justice-oriented state and a public school to boot, so the accusations/attacks are perennial. I've read news articles that have said the so-and-so School of Medicine is a "failed" medical school given performance issues on board exams and changes in the curriculum over the last few years. They also lost funding that eliminates COA scholarships for their students. Ouch.

I'm on a WL at a school with a new, seemingly out of left-field president installed by the state's very politically contentious governor. Under his leadership, the school has lost a significant portion of its clerkship sites and has soured relationships with major academic hospitals. It looks like the president is actively looking for ways to sabotage the institution, and the medical school is being forced to smile through and play politics while the scholastic quality evaporates.

I was reading on Reddit this morning that someone was questioning whether they should go to their first choice because the school was just put on probation with LCME.

If I'm looking to approach this with the goal of having the ideal medical school experience, where everything is beautiful and nothing hurt—I would probably pass on all of my options, because every school is going to have warts.

Unfortunately for me (and for you), even going to the "perfect" medical school does not guarantee a "perfect" ride.

Go to NEOMED, roll with the punches, and do your best. If you're at this point, odds are that things will work out for the best even if it doesn't seem like it in the moment.
 
"They'll take anyone interested in serving anywhere in Ohio." Does that mean this school isn't very competitive to get into, essentially? Especially when a solid chunk is from out of state now? Also, their match lists seem to be improving. They've had people match at Yale, Brigham, Johns Hopkins for IR, Walter Reed for Ortho, etc.
I think you’re focusing too much on “prestige” and gauging competitiveness of getting in to success in matching. NEOMED is a service based school addressing the healthcare needs of underserved areas, so many people will apply with that goal in mind and match accordingly. Ortho isn’t usually thought of in that regard, which could be the reason their numbers are lower. Still, they match students into ortho and at competive programs. NEOMED won’t hold you back from being able to match, so do what others say and reach out to your career development office early to get in touch with ortho mentors and begin building your ERAS application.
 
I can't speak for anyone who attends NEOMED. But I think you are confusing leadership decisions with the quality of your education, and they are unrelated. You are thinking that the school's mission reveals its lowering standards when the state's workforce needs are the issue.

Ohio in-state applicants have a plethora of options. There aren't enough Ohio applicants to create a 100% Ohio class. Blame our shrinking population.

I'll wait for students at NEOMED to chime in. From my perspective, NEOMED applicants aren't at a disadvantage in ortho. If you have a chance to visit for second-look, I'd ask questions.
I see what you mean. Thank you for that perspective! "Our shrinking population?" Are you a fellow Ohioan??????
 
Live up to your username. Gobs of people would be thrilled to get your spot. Chances are you're going to change your mind about your career path anyway. Congratulations and don't forget to say thanks to the people who helped you get that acceptance.
Ofc I am so blessed to get to go to med school! Will never lose sight of that. Thank you for replying!!! Everyone here is so kind
 
I looked at the 2025 match list myself. It is very similar to most match lists IMO. Many people going into IM, FM, and EM. They also matched into a lot of competitive specialties like IR, DR, and even 2 into derm. 5 into ortho is good considering a lot of other people got into very competitive specialties as well. I don't think going to NEOMED will hinder you at all. As for finding mentors, does NEOMED have a home ortho program? Reach out on day 1 to start shadowing any of the residents. Start asking any of the residents that are doing a research year if there is anything that you can help them out with. You have to put yourself out there to reap the benefits.



I mean, NEOMED's mission is to train physicians for Ohio but look at all the options that Ohioans have in the state. So it makes sense that they are accepting a few more people OOS. Can't be 100% all Ohio students.



I think that what @Mr.Smile12 means by "They'll take anyone interested in serving anywhere in Ohio" it means that they are looking for students who are trying to fill the gaps in Ohio's underserved population. That being said, those students are likely not interested in doing ortho, which is why I mentioned that personal choice plays a major factor during the match process. Essentially, if I accept a lot of kids who are interested in primary care and internal medicine, that is likely the match list that I will end up with, which it is when you look at the data they post.

In summary, going to NEOMED won't hurt your chances of matching into ortho. It is largely up to you and your application.
We do have a home ortho program. How do I leverage that to my advantage? And just start cold emailing anyone I see that does ortho nearby to see if I can snag a research role? And how does one find a mentor? If anyone has any advice on that? Ik I have to put myself out there, but does that mean attendings, residents, people at other hospitals, professors? Who is a good mentor? Any (this is a question for anyone who has advice)?

Really do appreciate all the rest of that reply to! Really good perspective and insight
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
With enough time on your hands, you can find some piece of information about any institution that will make your stomach churn.

My PTE school is one whose administration targeted a large percentage of their own students and accused them of violating academic integrity and put them through a wringer for weeks on end. It turned out to be a false alarm, but there are certain actions one takes that they can't take back. I've seen people say they would refuse to even apply here.

Another option is a school that is being heavily targeted by the Trump administration and has had a lot of its funding cut. It is a social justice-oriented state and a public school to boot, so the accusations/attacks are perennial. I've read news articles that have said the so-and-so School of Medicine is a "failed" medical school given performance issues on board exams and changes in the curriculum over the last few years. They also lost funding that eliminates COA scholarships for their students. Ouch.

I'm on a WL at a school with a new, seemingly out of left-field president installed by the state's very politically contentious governor. Under his leadership, the school has lost a significant portion of its clerkship sites and has soured relationships with major academic hospitals. It looks like the president is actively looking for ways to sabotage the institution, and the medical school is being forced to smile through and play politics while the scholastic quality evaporates.

I was reading on Reddit this morning that someone was questioning whether they should go to their first choice because the school was just put on probation with LCME.

If I'm looking to approach this with the goal of having the ideal medical school experience, where everything is beautiful and nothing hurt—I would probably pass on all of my options, because every school is going to have warts.

Unfortunately for me (and for you), even going to the "perfect" medical school does not guarantee a "perfect" ride.

Go to NEOMED, roll with the punches, and do your best. If you're at this point, odds are that things will work out for the best even if it doesn't seem like it in the moment.
Wow that was powerful! Very true with rolling with the punches, and things will work out! Thank you for taking the time to reply
 
I think you’re focusing too much on “prestige” and gauging competitiveness of getting in to success in matching. NEOMED is a service based school addressing the healthcare needs of underserved areas, so many people will apply with that goal in mind and match accordingly. Ortho isn’t usually thought of in that regard, which could be the reason their numbers are lower. Still, they match students into ortho and at competive programs. NEOMED won’t hold you back from being able to match, so do what others say and reach out to your career development office early to get in touch with ortho mentors and begin building your ERAS application.
Great advice and great perspective! Really appreciate the time you took to help me out! There are career development offices????? I gotta find more out, thanks for this advice. Do all schools have one?

Also, P.S. WHERE DID U GET THAT profile pic cuz cyndaquill in a white coat is so goated
 
We do have a home ortho program. How do I leverage that to my advantage? And just start cold emailing anyone I see that does ortho nearby to see if I can snag a research role? And how does one find a mentor? If anyone has any advice on that? Ik I have to put myself out there, but does that mean attendings, residents, people at other hospitals, professors? Who is a good mentor? Any (this is a question for anyone who has advice)?
At this point in the game, thinking about the process at this level of detail is only going to accomplish one thing: giving you anxiety.

I strongly suggest you pause until you actually matriculate. Orientation will be illuminating. I also recommend that people wait at least half a semester before they start plotting their entry into a hyper-competitive field. The simple fact is that medical school is quite difficult for most people, and you need to focus on doing well in your coursework before you stalk any ortho attendings.
 
My PTE school is one whose administration targeted a large percentage of their own students and accused them of violating academic integrity and put them through a wringer for weeks on end. It turned out to be a false alarm, but there are certain actions one takes that they can't take back. I've seen people say they would refuse to even apply here.

I remember this scandal quite well from a few years back. Dartmouth.

Congratulations btw, it is an excellent school!

Your comment overall is very sobering and also comforting for me to read as someone who is in a position similar to OP's--only one school to consider that has its downsides.
 
Hi I just wanted to reply to this as a current fourth year student at NEOMED. I'm planning to apply general surgery this September and know quite a few people applying ortho and who matched ortho last year in the class of 2026! It is definitely possible from NEOMED and the school is really great at connecting you with mentorship if you are willing to put the time in to follow up with mentors and reach out to many people etc etc. Actually there were more Ortho fourth year clerkship availability than there was for general surgery which was frustrating bc more of us in my class want to do gen surg. A lot of being at NEOMED or smaller state schools is putting in the effort to network with people and we have many affiliate hospitals, even more competitive places ( many of my third year rotation sites were at Case Western affiliate hospitals which allowed me to develop mentor/mentee relationships there). This can be frustrating at times when a top 25 med school would do more to set you up but if you put the work in you DO reap the rewards and the admin at NEOMED want you to succeed and set you up to match. There aren't that many of us from NEOMED matching into ortho because not many people actually want to do ortho at my school; not specifically due to a lack of resources or mentorship. There is also an okay amount of research opportunities; like I said its really what you make of it! Feel free to reach out with more questions.