SCC mass in the Breast, Specificity of ER+ for primary lesion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j1sulliv

Reaction score
Pathology report came back for a 85-year old woman w/ a 20 pack-year smoking history, and it said that the mass in her breast was moderately differentiated, metaplastic SCC with atypical cells visible in the vasculature and lymphatics. No lymph node growths were observable on US, but we'll be doing LN dissection when we perform the lumpectomy later next week. The patient will be getting a PET Scan to rule out Mets regardless of what I learn here, so I'm more asking this question out of curiosity/ for future reference.

If 80% of the SCC in a breast lesion are ER+, how confident can we be that this is a primary breast lesion, rather than a metastasis to the breast? The patient asked me this question and to be honest I wasn't sure. I know lung adenocarcinoma can sometimes be ER+, and same for SCC of the cervix, but I couldn't find any information about skin or lung SCC and the tendency towards ER positivity. If anyone here can enlighten me I'd very much appreciate it.

Best,
-Jordan

Members don't see this ad.

Pathology report came back for a 85-year old woman w/ a 20 pack-year smoking history, and it said that the mass in her breast was moderately differentiated, metaplastic SCC with atypical cells visible in the vasculature and lymphatics. No lymph node growths were observable on US, but we'll be doing LN dissection when we perform the lumpectomy later next week. The patient will be getting a PET Scan to rule out Mets regardless of what I learn here, so I'm more asking this question out of curiosity/ for future reference.

If 80% of the SCC in a breast lesion are ER+, how confident can we be that this is a primary breast lesion, rather than a metastasis to the breast? The patient asked me this question and to be honest I wasn't sure. I know lung adenocarcinoma can sometimes be ER+, and same for SCC of the cervix, but I couldn't find any information about skin or lung SCC and the tendency towards ER positivity. If anyone here can enlighten me I'd very much appreciate it.

Best,
-Jordan

Best,
-Jordan

Clinical evaluation with a good hx and physical. If lungs, cx,skin, smoking hx ,good oropharyngeal exam, etc. SCC carcinoma pts are almost all smokers and they just “look and feel” different from breast cancer patients from my limited 3 yr clinical background.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user