SCCO vs. SUNY?!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meghoo22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I hope you're all having a wonderful holiday season and looking forward to the new year. I was hoping some of you could help me make a decision on which school to attend. It would really help if you are also facing the same sort of decision involving these schools. I'm basically torn between decising which is a better school (career wise) to attend. Both schools have a great reputation for their programs, and if all else were equal, I would lean towards SCCO because my family lives close by.

However, I would save around 25K if I went to SUNY. Also, I've been hearing rumors that SCCO is on the downward slope. I know that the president resigned last year, along with some reputable instructors, and some additional professors are expected to leave at the end of this school year. This is really concerning!!! Has anybody else heard about this, and if so, what do you think of the situation? Also, somebody on SDN posted that the first time board passing rates at SCCO have been declining in the past few years. I believe it's at 74% for last years class. I dont' know...I'm really in a tough situation. Any advice/feedback would be much appreciated.

I"m expected to make a decision before January 5th. Please help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I already told you my pros/cons in the other thread... at this point, I know I'm going to end up in CA, but it's just a matter of whether UCBSO will be an option or not.

Of course money is an important issue, but I would be weary about that 25K estimated difference. If SUNY raised their tuition for out of state 5 grand in one year, there's nothing to say that won't happen again. On the other hand, SCCO has specifically said that they have had a 3% increase of tuition every year, and intend on keeping it that way. Also, think about living conditions... you'll be paying more for far less space in NYC. Personally, my undergrad living situation spoiled me, and I think paying a grand a month for an apartment the size of my closet would drive me nuts. But, that's just me.

BUT, on the other hand, SUNY's academic record is impeccable, and I think living in NYC would be an experience like no other.

I think whichever school you decide on, you will be happy at. Eeeny, meeny, miny, moe works sometimes :p

Hi blyssful! Thanks for your reply...again :) I also had my mind pretty much made up towards SCCO until I heard about their recent academic problems and resigning professors/staff. I guess I'm trying to see how much I should take this into consideration. Were you concerned with these statistics at all when deciding?

Also, I did the math including living expenses in NYC (I gave myself 1500/month for rent), and it's still cheapter than here. The out of state tuition is going to be 25K my first year (30K minus the 5K scholarship) at SUNY. After the first year, I would be considered an in-state resident and would pay about 15K per year for tuition thereafter.

Members don't see this ad :)
The out of state tuition is going to be 25K my first year (30K minus the 5K scholarship) at SUNY. After the first year, I would be considered an in-state resident and would pay about 15K per year for tuition thereafter.

I believe SUNY tuition has been raised to 34K for out of state correct me if I'm wrong. So it's a little less of a difference but still probably worth it.

I believe it is $31 720 ish for out of state. If you do not mind sharing, was the scholarship for academic reasons or because of a joint program with SUNY?

of course, the letter said it was for demonstrating academic merit, personal achievements, and characteristics displayed in person...I'm assuming this referrs to their experience with me during the interview.