Mar 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Optometry
Hello SDN!

Let me start by saying this forum has been a great resource throughout my 2009-2010 application period. I am impressed by the friendly and helpful nature of everyone on the SDN forums. Most of my questions have been asked by other posts and answered - this one is pretty specific.

I recently have interviewed at SCCO and ICO. I just heard back from SCCO that I was waitlisted (based on my interview I expected this).

First: Can anyone estimate how long SCCO's waitlist is right now? In previous years, what are chances of getting in if put on the waitlist around this time of the year?

I did very well at my interview in ICO and I suspect they will be offering me a seat in the coming weeks. If accepted to ICO I am on the fence about attending. The doc that I am currently working with in southern California thinks that SCCO is a wiser choice if I'm going to be practicing in southern CA in the future, because of area networking that should begin during school.

My second question: What are opinions on the value of networking in an area you will practice DURING optometry school? Would it be a mistake for me to accept ICO and drop SCCO waitlist? Of course this cannot be answered absolutely, I'm just trying to gather second opinions.

Another option I have considered is declining all apps this year, strengthening my application, and reapplying for next term at SCCO, Western, and Berkeley. Does that sound like a crazy idea?? :scared:

Thanks in advance!

lnh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2007
Status
What a beautifully organized, and coherent post! I'm afraid I can only give you some opinions on your first question.

Last year, out of the 605 who applied, SCCO accepted 150, and only 100 enrolled. These numbers are more or less consistent with past years (I'm looking at ASCO's stats). I'm assuming this means roughly 50 people decline/give up their seats. I don't know how they rank waitlist applicants, but if you are well in the top 50, I think it looks promising.

Past years: Applied/Accepted/Enrolled
2009: 605/150/100
2008: 592/154/98
2007: 588/164/98
2006: 549/140/98

I know for med schools, sometimes you can bump your chances by letting them know they are your first choice school. That way when it comes to calling waitlisters, they will be sure to fill a seat with just one call to you, rather than hazarding a call to yet another person who might enroll elsewhere. It's getting late and they want to fill up their seats with people who are committed. Even if optometry schools don't adapt this policy, it shouldn't hurt to try?

If networking is the only reason you would regret going to ICO, then I think re-appying is a little crazy. Unless someone posts some contrary evidence about those benefits, I say just go to ICO if you don't get into SCCO. Good luck! :)

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2009
Status
Pre-Optometry
Networking would be a plus, and would be one of the deciding factors if you were accepted to both and needed to pick one. However, I agree with the above poster that it would be pretty crazy to scrap everything and wait for another year JUST to be able to have networking in the area. Besides, you can't even know for certain that you'll be accepted the second time around.

Networking is great if you have it, but plenty of ODs from other schools do just fine. Sure, an SCCO alum might hire another SCCO alum if they had to choose, but it's not as if only SCCO alums can succeed in SoCal.

I'm in NorCal and my OD was a SUNY grad. The office I work for has PUCO, Cal and PCO alums. One OD I shadowed was from ICO.

optsuker

10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2008
Status
Optometrist
Don't wait a year!

Pay the deposit at ICO and keep in contact with SCCO, letting them know you'll accept the second they offer you a spot. It may jump you a few spots if they know they can write you in immediately.

There are always quite a few CA natives that have spots at SCCO but are waiting to hear from Berk. so there will be openings.
Save ICO as the fall back, but don't wait.

Mar 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Optometry
Inh:

I emailed the admissions committee per your advice and received a nice email back from the admissions director. Apparently SCCO divides their waitlist up into four quartiles based on interview score. The top quartile has a great chance of getting in. The second to top quartile has a very strong chance of getting in. The third quartile is completely questionable, and the last is no chance. In mid-April SCCO will complete their applications and release waitlist position to any student that is in the same position as myself.

I am going to wait to see how this waitlist pans out - I think once I know my position I will be able to make a decision. Thanks for all the info guys, I'll keep you updated.:xf:

BTW: If there's anyone else on SCCO's waitlist, feel free to chime in!

Mar 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Optometry
Just wanted to update you guys - I got accepted into SCCO last week! Thanks for the reassurance and advice when I was freaking out hehe. :cool: