SCCO waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hiddenf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone on SCCO's wait list and is planning to go there if they get accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

I am. Too bad they won't generate a waitlist until the beginning of April.

are they putting everyone on the waitlist? I heard they handed out all their spots.

Members don't see this ad :)
are they putting everyone on the waitlist? I heard they handed out all their spots.

Yeah the spots are completely taken. Any current SCCO students on here that were put on the waitlist originally?

any idea how many offers are out? Anyone planning to drop?

I'm dropping my spot at SCCO as soon as the official letter comes from Berkeley's grad division. Those are supposed to arrive to people by the end of this week, so then hopefully more spots will open up for SCCO hopefuls :) Good luck!

Thanks! That will give hope to many on the waitlist!

did you already get accepted to berkeley optoapp2012?

did you already get accepted to berkeley optoapp2012?

Yea - they called the accepted students a couple weeks ago. But they said that the official, on-paper definition of those phone calls is that they are recommending us to the grad division for acceptance...then the grad division has to be the office to officially accept us, which they do by mail. I think it's just a formality, but I don't want to risk anything!

Anyone hear back from SCCO about the waitlist yet?

Won't know until late april i hear. Done with interviews for this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you know they are done with interviews? I know it's late but SCCO's deadline to receive your application is March 31st. That was only 5 business days ago. They must interview for another week or two, no?

call them and ask

deadline was actually march 15th

Last edited:
Updates anyone?
Anyone accepted from the waitlist yet?
Any idea how many total acceptances SCCO has given out so far?

Last edited:
Updates anyone?
Anyone accepted from the waitlist yet?
Any idea how many total acceptances SCCO has given out so far?

There are 4 "quartiles" and they put you in one of the four...I just found out I'm the third quartile :(

ANYONE GOTTEN IN FROM THE THIRD QUARTILE BEFORE??

I'm currently taking 2 bio labs just for SCCO (the other opt school doesn't need them) so I don't know if I should drop them or not. Dropping them would make my life ALOT easier :/ any advice would help...

To drop or to keep those labs should depend on how well you think you will do in them. I think it is a better idea to take it slowly and do well in those classes.

To drop or to keep those labs should depend on how well you think you will do in them. I think it is a better idea to take it slowly and do well in those classes.

I just have to get a "c-" in them...I don't need to take them AT ALL since I'm not a biology major...it was just for SCCO. Should I stay in them even though it will make my life suck...and then I might not even get into SCCO :( Maybe it wasn't clear from my post, but I am on the SCCO waitlist (near the bottom).

Did you get into another school already?

Did you get into another school already?

Yes, but SCCO was my first choice and I really really want to go there. The 2 bio labs take up a ton of time, they're each 4 hours 4 days a week with a lot of hw and tests...etc. I just feel like I need a break before opt school starts and I'm also taking physics so 3 classes is just too much for me right now :/ but I'd feel like a huge loser if I get off the SCCO waitlist and then can't attend because I didn't take the labs :(

Also the other school I was accepted to was Western...anyone know how the first class did on their boards? Still not sure if I should take the classes to stay on SCCO's waitlist...

how did you find out which quartile? did they send you mail/e-mail or did you call the admissions office?

It looks like only people in the first quartile got in last year :(

did everyone in the first quartile get in last year? Did they tell you?

I'm pretty annoyed. SCCO should do a better job of keeping in touch with their waitlist applicants, including sending an e-mail informing the applicant that they've finalized their waitlist ranks and are ready to disclose the quartiles.

I'm pretty annoyed. SCCO should do a better job of keeping in touch with their waitlist applicants, including sending an e-mail informing the applicant that they've finalized their waitlist ranks and are ready to disclose the quartiles.

WTF it's not their job to babysit you. if you really wanted to get in, then you would have asked when the official waitlist comes out like I did.

WTF it's not their job to babysit you. if you really wanted to get in, then you would have asked when the official waitlist comes out like I did.
I've asked...and have gotten vague answers like "toward the end of April." I'm not saying I need to be "babysat" but I feel it should be a courtesy of the admissions department, considering so many of their applicants are waiting on the edge of their seats for any further correspondence from the school. Sorry you're a better applicant than me because you call the office more *rolls eyes*

I've asked...and have gotten vague answers like "toward the end of April." I'm not saying I need to be "babysat" but I feel it should be a courtesy of the admissions department, considering so many of their applicants are waiting on the edge of their seats for any further correspondence from the school. Sorry you're a better applicant than me because you call the office more *rolls eyes*

I was told April 15, and I only asked once. What quartile did you end up in?

Last edited:
I would also like to know how they did on their boards this year!

Boards results for this year aren't released to the students until May 9th so unfortunately, no one knows how they did this year yet.

Boards results for this year aren't released to the students until May 9th so unfortunately, no one knows how they did this year yet.

ah okay, does accreditation even depend on board exam results?

Honestly, I am not sure of the criteria required for accreditation. The only thing I do know is that they cannot be accredited until after their first class graduates. The other stipulations are a complete mystery to me :)

I will be withdrawing my seat at SCCO, so best wishes to whomever gets my spot

no.

regarding SCCO wait list, i applied there last year and they told me everyone on waitlist got acceptance the year before (thats when they started optomcas application, stats say student apply at least 2 more schools thru eletronic application) so SCCO overbooked wait list last year so only 1st quarter got in. not sure what they will do this year

I was put on the waitlist when i was applying and told i was on the 2nd quartile. i got accepted pretty soon after that. it was kind of strange because I got accepted before some 1st quartile people got accepted. *shrugs* good luck! :D

this isnt true! i was in the second quartile and got in. there are people in the 2015 class that got in even up to the first day of orientation. you never know :)

(in reply to optomchick)

Last edited:
this isnt true! i was in the second quartile and got in. there are people in the 2015 class that got in even up to the first day of orientation. you never know :)

(in reply to optomchick)

Ya but getting in the day before orientation would be really hard to find a roommate/place to live. Also I'm in the 3rd quartile...not the 2nd. Thanks, but I'm sure I'm not getting in.

Ya but getting in the day before orientation would be really hard to find a roommate/place to live. Also I'm in the 3rd quartile...not the 2nd. Thanks, but I'm sure I'm not getting in.

I think you'd be surprised. I'm not going to SCCO, but I was visiting Berkeley this last weekend to find housing and I was bummed because all the landlords were saying we were looking too early and that when they post openings, they expect them to rent within days. So I'm sure the market is unique everywhere, and it would certainly mean doing a fast job of moving, but if you really want SCCO then it could still work out!

I think you'd be surprised. I'm not going to SCCO, but I was visiting Berkeley this last weekend to find housing and I was bummed because all the landlords were saying we were looking too early and that when they post openings, they expect them to rent within days. So I'm sure the market is unique everywhere, and it would certainly mean doing a fast job of moving, but if you really want SCCO then it could still work out!

I feel like I'm already having a hard time finding a roommate for Western and it's 3 months early lol. Thanks, but I've come to the conclusion that I'm really not good at interviews and not getting in.

Optomchick what are your stats?

3.0 GPA, 320 OAT. I applied really early, but by the time I retook a few classes to boost my GPA and sent in my new grades it was January, and then the first interview available at SCCO was in 2 months so I interviewed in early March when most of the seats were already taken :/

Hey guys,

I just received an email back from them saying they won't know who they are pulling from their alternate list until at least may 15th....when final deposits are due...

So i guess more waiting until then...they told me i'm in the 2nd quartile. :/

Hey guys,

I just received an email back from them saying they won't know who they are pulling from their alternate list until at least may 15th....when final deposits are due...

So i guess more waiting until then...they told me i'm in the 2nd quartile. :/

I didn't get an email? lol do they not bother to email the 3rd quartile...if you look at last year's thread, it looks like they gave students an extra 2 week buffer after that for processing...so you prob won't even hear back till June 1st :/

I didn't get an email? lol do they not bother to email the 3rd quartile...if you look at last year's thread, it looks like they gave students an extra 2 week buffer after that for processing...so you prob won't even hear back till June 1st :/
Hey optomchick, I forgot to mention I had to email them first...so don't feel bad about it!

Argh! June 1st! This is killing me (and i'm sure others too...) because I have to make arrangements to move to go to Nova by mid July if I don't get in to SCCO....and I hate doing things last minute!

Hey optomchick, I forgot to mention I had to email them first...so don't feel bad about it!

Argh! June 1st! This is killing me (and i'm sure others too...) because I have to make arrangements to move to go to Nova by mid July if I don't get in to SCCO....and I hate doing things last minute!

That sucks, you probably have to sign a lease before mid July...good luck with that...apartment hunting is hard!

Optomchick, are you sure about June 1st or did u just read from other threads? I cant imagine having to wait till june, but I will

Optomchick, are you sure about June 1st or did u just read from other threads? I cant imagine having to wait till june, but I will

Nothing is "sure" im just saying based on common sense, people will drop May 15...so probably add a couple weeks after that for processing of the waitlist...it may even be the end of june or july before you hear back!