Scenario I am confused about

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tros0836

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am applying this summer to seven different schools, and I am confused about how this will work. What if I get say 4 interviews out of the seven, and need to schedule interviews apart because either I got asked at completely different times or because of plane tickets. Well then I have heard you don't have that long to make a decision, but what if I haven't even gone to 3 places yet, and I got accepted into one. How do you make this work with that short of a time window to make a decision?

Members don't see this ad.

It's as you said it. Try to schedule interviews (or applications) to your favorite schools first. If you're waiting for a better school but don't want to risk not going anywhere you'll need to send in a deposit to somewhere to reserve that seat. I had three interviews at one time. I managed to fly from one interview to another in the same week. After those two I cancelled my third for the next week and withdrew from the rest before they responded.

Hi everyone,

I am applying this summer to seven different schools, and I am confused about how this will work. What if I get say 4 interviews out of the seven, and need to schedule interviews apart because either I got asked at completely different times or because of plane tickets. Well then I have heard you don't have that long to make a decision, but what if I haven't even gone to 3 places yet, and I got accepted into one. How do you make this work with that short of a time window to make a decision?

I agree with the other person. I was able to schedule 3 interviews within about a month's time (flying to 2, but 1 was local). I didn't realize that I would get so little time to make a decision, so I had to ask the first place I interviewed at to give me an extra 2 weeks to make my decision (making it 4 weeks in total). They were kind enough to do so, but I know not all schools are willing to do that.

Rank the schools, look at your fall schedule, pick weekends that would be good for travel, note any weekends where you might be able to visit two schools back to back, etc. If you know in advance what your IDEAL timing is for each interview, that will help once they start sending out interview invites. You can schedule your interview months down the road. I was invited to interview at one school sometime in October, but I scheduled the interview for January since it was my last choice school, and ended up canceling it because I got in elsewhere. If you are really torn between a couple schools, schedule those interviews close together so that you can decide between them more easily and have enough time on the clock to do that.

If you hear back from your lower choice schools early, and haven't heard anything from your top choice schools, make sure to schedule those interviews later. If you are interviewing in November or early December, there will still be plenty of spots left in classes, but that gives you plenty of time to schedule other interviews sooner if those offers come through.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
completely different topic but I was wondering why some OD schools (i.e. SUNY) require you to send SAT/ACT scores? How heavily is this weighed in the admissions process???

completely different topic but I was wondering why some OD schools (i.e. SUNY) require you to send SAT/ACT scores? How heavily is this weighed in the admissions process???

SCCO requires it too, and I asked why and they just said it was to help establish a longer history of you as a student (SCCO requires a high school transcript with your SAT/ACT scores on it I think). I think it doesn't do much other than show if you are just a consistently good test-taker. It might help someone who had low SAT/ACT and then got a high score on the OAT. I wouldn't worry about it negatively impacting you though...I can't see a reason why they would judge you poorly no matter how bad someone's SAT/ACT scores were since that was before you went to college and got in some of that there book learnin' stuff at a high level :). I think it might also help them understand your college transcript better - people who took remedial math or English classes could have done it out of genuine need (as evidenced in SAT/ACT or HS grades) or just to take an easier class load and boost their GPA.