Schaum's Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osimsDDS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started reading the first 10 chapters of Schaum's outlines Biology and this book is amazing. I first started off reading all of kaplan and then moved to Schaum's it basically fills in all of the holes kaplan misses.

Is anyone else using schaum's of has used it in the past and has it helped in the bio DAT section?

Members don't see this ad.

Im using it now, are you just going to go through the whole thing?

yea im probably gonna to read the whole thing 2-3 times before the test. It's packed with a lot of info and it also makes me look up stuff on wiki that i dont know...

what about u?

I didn't have the kaplan book the first time I wrote the DAT and I used Schaum's to study for bio. I don't think it really helped me much more than Kaplan would have.. its WAY too specific for the DAT for instance.. but to each his own.

Members don't see this ad :)
thats funny... the first time i took the dat i did ok on the bio section only using kaplan but the questions that tricked me were really in depth so this time im studying both kaplan and schaum's and i remember some questions that were on the DAT i previously took that i had trouble with answered in schaum's.

Really? damn lol conflicting situations between you two.

I'm going to read it once, no way am I going to read that more than once, due to time constraints and my annoying small period of information retention that doesn't last more than 2 weeks.

But anyway, when are you going to take the DAT? Are you going to read anything else?

I used kaplan book the first time i took the dat and did ok on the bio. The weird thing is that I can't remember what a single question was like...its been permanently wiped out of my memory some how.

i started studying about 2-3 weeks ago, im taking the kaplan course june 3-july 22nd and my test is july 23rd...hopefully ill be prepared by then.

hahah same here...completely deleted all memories of my DAT and now i may have to retake it...y.u.c.k!

I am using both KAPLAN book and Schaums. I read through all the Biology chapters in KAPLAN, now I am on chapter 21 (hormones and endocrine system) in Schaums. I have to say that I think KAPLAN is very basic and general. Schaums discusses the same things, but then goes further. I love the "solved problems" because it puts everything you just read into real-world context. It can only help to use both.....use whatever you can.:thumbup:

I have cliffs' ap bio but I never bought schaum's. Do you guys think I should read schaum's instead? I am confused....

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the other Schaum books.

like the chem and ochem

thanks

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the other Schaum books.

like the chem and ochem

thanks

The Biology is fantastic, and the Chemistry is also quite good. I wish the pages would be better illustrated (such as in the MCAT Examkrackers) but otherwise they are fantastic.

I heard the the organic chem one is not good though...

What's the isbn number? cuz i saw that there is Schaum's crash bio course or whatever, and schaum's outline. which one you using?