schedule next year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bisulfite

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on taking Orgo 1 w/lab, calc 3, chinese 3, english, and possibly chem lab next semester. Does this schedule sound way too difficult? Should I throw out the chem lab and take it another time?

Members don't see this ad.

sounds good.
u could take chem lab another time since u'll be taking two labs.
guess it's up to you if you think you can handle it!

Members don't see this ad :)
That doesn't sound too bad. Last semester I took Organic I with lab, Cell Biology, Physics I, and a Forensic Science class with a lab and I did really well. Just make sure you have the time to put into the studying required to do well in the classes. In most cases, if you just buckle down and do the work, you'll be good. Try to maintain that focus!

Nope, not a math major, I just happen to enjoy math.
if you enjoy it then it should be easy. it would be torture for me. so if you think it won't be a burden, by all means stick with it. if it's going to be too much work, drop it. you don't need calc 3 to go to medical school.

DO NOT TAKE TOO MANY COURSES!!!
This is from experience. I recently graduated with a degree in Biochem and a minor in Russian Studies. I also was interested in a bunch of other stuff, so I decided to just take a lot of other courses....BIG MISTAKE!!! My school was on the quarter system, so three courses is a full load and four is heavy, depending on how many units each class is worth. I regularly petitioned to take five or six courses a quarter, plus I took online courses on the side at a community college. MY GRADES SUFFERED. The one time I took three classes, I got straight A's. The three times I took 6 classes, I averaged ~3.3. There is a BIG difference. I should have learned, but I never stopped to think about it and learn from it.

It sounds to me like you have similar interests in taking course for fun when you might jip yourself of time to study for your more difficult courses. While this is alright if you have time to dedicate to each course, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE TIME.

Also, it depends on how much time you devote to EC's. I played sports and worked in a lab, and in between seasons I volunteered at a hospice. Do these EC's sound familiar to you? If they do, DON'T overdo it on your courses.

Hope this helps.

DO NOT TAKE TOO MANY COURSES!!!
This is from experience. I recently graduated with a degree in Biochem and a minor in Russian Studies. I also was interested in a bunch of other stuff, so I decided to just take a lot of other courses....BIG MISTAKE!!! My school was on the quarter system, so three courses is a full load and four is heavy, depending on how many units each class is worth. I regularly petitioned to take five or six courses a quarter, plus I took online courses on the side at a community college. MY GRADES SUFFERED. The one time I took three classes, I got straight A's. The three times I took 6 classes, I averaged ~3.3. There is a BIG difference. I should have learned, but I never stopped to think about it and learn from it.

It sounds to me like you have similar interests in taking course for fun when you might jip yourself of time to study for your more difficult courses. While this is alright if you have time to dedicate to each course, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE TIME.

Also, it depends on how much time you devote to EC's. I played sports and worked in a lab, and in between seasons I volunteered at a hospice. Do these EC's sound familiar to you? If they do, DON'T overdo it on your courses.

Hope this helps.

A 3.3 GPA is solid in my book, given the difficulty of my courseload.

And, I'm not really taking any of these classes "for fun." Most of these classes are either required for my major, Chinese (I'm white, by the way), or my pre-health prerequisites.

As for Calc, I just find my math course to be the most intellectually stimulating and exciting (yes, exciting). They really force me to think logically, an ability I've hardly implemented in my science courses, which tend to be, for the most part, rote memorization (which I'm sure will change when I get into more higher level classes).

Gotta love it--no mention of major, year in school, location, career ambition, etc. in the OP.

What does your advisor think?