Schedulign Conflict! Help me make a decision :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Longcatislong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fall Semester Schedule: Ochem + lab, Physics +lab, and Cell Bio lecture (13 units).
NOTE: I am a post-bacc, so I am only taking pre-reqs. No other filler college courses for me ...

Although I want to maintain a full academic schedule by taking the above 3 science courses, I also do not want to lag behind in doing meaningful extracurriculars. After all, I know that in addition to good grades and DAT scores, extracurricular work is important to d-school as well, correct? That being said, I have the opportunity to do some cool tutoring work with an organization, which unfortunately conflicts with the class time for cell biology. The issue is, should I do the tutoring OR should I not tutor and take the full load of courses?

On one hand, if I take all three classes and skip out on tutoring, I'll be demonstrating to dental school that I can handle a full academic load of sciences courses and do well, yada yada. Also, since these courses are awkwardly spaced out during the day, I won't have that much time in my scheduling for meaningful extracurricualr involvement.

On the other hand, If I drop the cell bio and do the tutoring, which is mandatory 4-hours a week, I will only be taking on 9 units for the fall semester, which probably doesn't look too great to dental schools...however I will be doing something good for the community and be able to put that on my application...

What should I do?! Drop the cell bio course and tutor (and have only a 9 unit course load for the semester?) OR not tutor and not have any other significant extracurriculars this semester but maintain a full course load?

Thanks for your help guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
dont tutor. focus all your time on getting A's in those 3 courses. if you're doing post bac it either means u have a low GPA and are trying to bring it up or you were on a different track during your undergrad (read: nonscience) and are trying to knock out all the pre-reqs. either way, your classes come first.

Concentrate on your class schedule. There are so many other places that you can volunteer. If you want to tutor kids there are other venues. Contact a local school or Boys and Girls Club and see if they would allow you to tutor. Is there a free or reduced fee dental clinic nearby? I just signed my 5 year old up for soccer and AYSO needs coaches- no experience needed (about 3 hours a week for 6 weeks). Contact your local United Way and they can give you a list of organizations that are looking for volunteers in your town/city. There are lots of opportunities out there! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. I have a B.A in sociology, so my post-bacc is just to complete prereqs. So, it seems that grades & DAT outweigh everything else? Right?

Thanks for the advice. I have a B.A in sociology, so my post-bacc is just to complete prereqs. So, it seems that grades & DAT outweigh everything else? Right?
Right.

A 23 DAT w/o tutoring beats a 19 DAT w/ tutoring. The DAT is sooooooo important for non-trads because they tend to not have a lot of upper division sciences.