scheduling an audition rotation during my vacation month in 4th yr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorV

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am a DO student interested in Orthopaedic Surgery. I get a vacation month in 4th year and was thinking of scheduling an audition rotation during that month. I am concerned that my school probably doesnt cover my malpractice insurance during that month. Does anybody have any insight as to how I can make this possible?
Has anybody scheduled an away rotation during their vacation month? if so how did you approach your school administrators? What did you tell them?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,

I am a DO student interested in Orthopaedic Surgery. I get a vacation month in 4th year and was thinking of scheduling an audition rotation during that month. I am concerned that my school probably doesnt cover my malpractice insurance during that month. Does anybody have any insight as to how I can make this possible?
Has anybody scheduled an away rotation during their vacation month? if so how did you approach your school administrators? What did you tell them?

Thank you

I'm confused. Why would you schedule an audition rotation during your vacation month? Does your school not allow any electives during fourth year? And if so, why wouldn't you do your audition rotation then?

yea I get 5 months of electives+1 month of vacation. our school only allows us to do 3 electives in 1 specialty. So in order to maximize the amount of places I can do an audition in Ortho I was willing to let go of my vacation month and schedule an additional audition month without letting my school know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ideas that involve the phrase "without letting my school know" are usually fking stupid ideas. I'm glad I could impart this wisdom on you my young padawan.

But srsly, don't. Just don't. And no your school's insurance likely does not cover secret rotations they don't approve of.

See you next year for the sob story about getting kicked out of school 3 months before you graduate.

(P.S. use the vacation time to take step 2 and interview)

Last edited:
yea I get 5 months of electives+1 month of vacation. our school only allows us to do 3 electives in 1 specialty. So in order to maximize the amount of places I can do an audition in Ortho I was willing to let go of my vacation month and schedule an additional audition month without letting my school know.

wow terrible idea. You have to let your school know. If something happens... anything... you will get in huge trouble. Huge. And by huge I mean they could expell you. You need to either cancel this rotation asap and potentially no one will know, or you need to tell you school and ask if it is ok.

Your school probably won't object to you doing a rotation on your vacation. However if they do, then don't do it. When you do an away they need to know.

I would also point out that the place where you want to rotate will without a doubt want a letter of good standing, immunization status, and liability insurance paperwork... So it is basically impossible to try to do what you propose. As said above, your school will probably have no problem with you doing a rotation during your vacation. (for example, my school is fine with allowing it you just do not get a grade for it because you're not earning credits that month)

Hey guys thank you for an honest opinion. I haven't scheduled anything yet.. I was just brain storming different ideas. After reading the above posts I definitely won't schedule anything "secretly" I guess ill go talk to the administrators and see if they will allow me to do a rotation without credits as the above poster recommended. Again thank you for your help

While I have yet to schedule away rotations or have any personal experience doing so...

I know that my school allows us to do away rotations during our off months, and I have "friends of friends" who have done it. However the biggest obstacle was that the school's malpractice policy doesn't extend to cover the off month. In one of the documents passed down from the upper years they had mentioned that it is hard but not impossible to find a company to insure you. They had suggested http://www.nexus-insurance.net/ ... though obviously I've never used it and I don't know anyone personally who has. It might just be something to look into, as that would seem to be the biggest obstacle to scheduling an away during an off month.

I don't know why the school would be against you doing an away during an off month. JMO, but in any case, as mentioned your mostly likely going to need to documents from the school in order to proceed. So there's no reason to keep it secret.

While I have yet to schedule away rotations or have any personal experience doing so...

I know that my school allows us to do away rotations during our off months, and I have "friends of friends" who have done it. However the biggest obstacle was that the school's malpractice policy doesn't extend to cover the off month. In one of the documents passed down from the upper years they had mentioned that it is hard but not impossible to find a company to insure you. They had suggested http://www.nexus-insurance.net/ ... though obviously I've never used it and I don't know anyone personally who has. It might just be something to look into, as that would seem to be the biggest obstacle to scheduling an away during an off month.

I don't know why the school would be against you doing an away during an off month. JMO, but in any case, as mentioned your mostly likely going to need to documents from the school in order to proceed. So there's no reason to keep it secret.
yup this is exactly what i was worried about. thanks for the link. I'll see what I can do about it.

My school made it very clear that we couldn't do a rotation during our vacation month because, as mentioned above,we aren't covered by the insurance policy.