Scheduling Interviews Advice Requested

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

botsuzoku

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to be delicate with this post to be sensitive to everyone in this crazy match process, so hopefully this question will benefit alot of us.

I have been fortunate to receive several interview invites. My schedule is starting to get more full but I haven't yet heard from a number of other programs that I am really interested in. I of course believe that a bird in the hand...as the saying goes so I have been scheduling as they come in.

So here are some questions

1. What do I do if I hear from a program I am really interested in that has a date in coflict with another if I still don't have that magic number of interviews (whatever that is 8, 10, 12?)?

a. What if I do have to cancel one how do you do that gracefully?

2.Let's say i have a good number of interviews already 8-12 but I still haven't heard from a number of other programs yet as more come in from programs I am not as interested in should I still schedule knowing that I more than likely will cancel if given the chance or decline and hedge my bets?

(I don't want to be a jerk by taking spots but I also can't predict that the other programs will come through)

I would love to hear advice from some of the attendings and people who have been through the process on this.

Once again good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

There's no right answer.
Just use good sense.

Don't cancel right before an interview. That's impolite.
Don't skip out on an interview without letting the program know.

I don't think there's anything wrong with scheduling things as they come in and canceling or changing as more come in. Just do it with enough time so the program can invite someone else.

There's no right answer.
Just use good sense.

Don't cancel right before an interview. That's impolite.
Don't skip out on an interview without letting the program know.

I don't think there's anything wrong with scheduling things as they come in and canceling or changing as more come in. Just do it with enough time so the program can invite someone else.

Agree. Programs know that some interviewers are going to cancel. They don't take it personally.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you don't screw a program by giving too short of notice, cancelling an interview is not a bad thing.

How short is too short? Well, think of it this way. If you were to get invited to a program you wanted to interview at, how long would you need to appropriately prepare and get there? Add to that the program's need to contact possible candidates.

Regardless, even if you cancelled the week before, it's not like the program will call around and blackball you. It wouldn't be worth the effort.