Scheduling Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annimul

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received a letter offering me my first interview (yay!). I applied to 5 schools on the east coast (I live in Seattle) and I really can't afford to be making several trips out there. I realize I should schedule my interview asap, but I'm afraid that the other schools won't get around to reviewing my app for a little while and I'll end up having to fly out more than once. Any advice on the best way to go about this? Is it too early to call the other schools to see if they are planning on interviewing me?

Members don't see this ad.

I would call the school and tell the situation, I am sure that the school will understand your situation, and definately will let you know something. I did that when I had to fly to NY, then I scheduled my Boston interviews too, and went on Amtrak from there.
I hope that the schools will accept ur request....
Viraj

Call the schools and talk to them -- this is a must! Say something such as "I have recently received an interview at such-and-such, and I would like to interview with your admissions committee while I am in the area. Can you tell me if the admissions committee will be requesting an interview with me?"

Usually, the person you are speaking with will ask if they can call you back, and this is fine, since more often than not they will be determining whether to actually grant you an interview. Generally you will receive a call in 2-3 days letting you know the status.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above posters. I had the similar dilemma. I was going to spend 10 days regardless in philadelphia and it would be worth it to get interviews to my top two choices: UPENN and Temple. Now I got them. Thanks for the post annimul, it made my day.

DesiDentist

Has anyone been able to schedule their Temple interview? When I called yesterday they said to call them back in a week or 2 after their classes have started.

GTChick,

did you get a invitational letter? If you did you should read the third paragraph where it specifically states not to call until AFTER September 8th.

Mark and the entire dept is very busy due to orientation and the new transition of the new freshmen.

DesiDentist

I did not receive the letter. It went to my parents house and they were the ones who told me about it. Guess they missed that part. I assumed that the letter was similar to U Penn and that they wanted a response ASAP. I just want to make one trip for both interviews.

GTChick,

Cool, just like me. I'll be going down there for both interviews. I probably will be choosing my date tomorrow, but Ramona at UPENN said that you should schedule your flight before getting your interview. Temple's wait is too long, I wish I could schedule my inteview now. Anyways, keep me updated.

DesiDentist

I am going to U Penn on the 26th, hopefully Temple on the 27 of September. I had to schedule them later than I wanted due to my work schedule that I can't get out of. I also have an interview at MCG on the 9th of September. Now I just have to find an airline that flies straight from Atlanta to Philly instead of Atlanta to someplace in the midwest and back again. :)

I'm sorry, but I won't get to meet you GTChick. i just scheduled my interview for UPENN on the 20th, and Temple will be either the 19th or 23rd of September. What do you guys think? Is it better to have two inteviews back to back or have some time in between?

Good luck,

DesiDentist

It is probably best to have a little time inbetween so that later you have the two schools separate in your mind when making a decision and so that you are fresh for both interviews. If work, classes, and money weren't such a restriction with me I would not do mine back to back. But it is personal preference.