Scheduling question for this year's interviewees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowmaiden11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys -

About to head into my 4th year and planning out my schedule. Wanted to get an idea from people what months were the most interview-heavy so that I could pick which months to schedule easy rotations or take off completely.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys -About to head into my 4th year and planning out my schedule. Wanted to get an idea from people what months were the most interview-heavy so that I could pick which months to schedule easy rotations or take off completely.
I am a believer in interviewing earlier rather than later because of the potential for weather/travel issues, second visits, need to reschedule, etc. One problem with that approach is that a few programs don't issue invitations until after the MSPE is released, which is Nov. 1. So I would consider taking off either Nov. or Dec. and having a light rotation in January (and maybe in Nov/Dec, whichever month you don't take off).

So is it better to schedule interviews in November or January?

Or does it even matter if you interview early or late? ie..will you still be fresh on thier minds when it comes time for ranking?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're planning on taking a month off for interviews, I recommend December or January. Those were my heaviest interview months. Most peds programs seemed to offer interviews early, most before getting the MSPE in November, but you also will tend to get interview offers later in October and November (and even later) as people start cancelling interviews. I don't think the time you interview makes a big difference in regards to matching. You can always do second looks if you are very concerned about this (although this will cost you money for travel and lodging). I matched at a place that was my second interview (during the first few days of November). Most places will give you some sort to score so that you can be fairly compared to those that interviewed later.

Invites came between the end of September and mid-November for me. I did all of my interviews in December, which was right in the middle of most programs' interview timeline. I think the programs would remember you even if you went there at the beginning. I did two 2nd looks in late January only because I was struggling b/w the ranking of the program. They were local. Had I needed to travel far, I would not have done them.

I also think either Dec. or Jan. would be fine for a month to take off. Keep in mind that some program will not interview around the holidays so depending on when Christmas is, that could be 2 weeks of the month that they are not interviewing.

A bump, if I may, for a follow-up question.

I originally planned my schedule with December off and a "research" rotation in January, thinking that most of my interviews would be in that time frame. I've now heard, however, that most interviews are November-December.

My problem is that I just got offered an away rotation with the option of October or November. November would be easier (in my home state, so I would only have to travel home once for Thanksgiving, coming off of an easy rotation), but would doing the away in October be better (since I can't take time off from an away rotation for interviews, and so that I'd have a better chance of getting an interview offer at said away rotation)?