Scheduling your own rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anniekat2025

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
During one of my interview/info sessions, a fellow interviewee asked about "scheduling our own rotations." I don't really understand what this means nor did I understand the Dean's answer to the question. Can someone explain what it means to have to schedule your own rotations as a medical student and provide some clarification as to if this is a good/bad/somewhere-in-between factor when deciding between schools?

Context: I haven't heard back from this school yet (next week!!!!), but I had a really positive interview experience and I think I would be happy to attend. Also, I think I have a decent chance of being accepted based on my stats and how my interview went. However, I also have an acceptance to another MD school I really like, where I wouldn't have to do the scheduling thing.

Members don't see this ad.

Having options in terms of timing and location of rotations is good. Being asked to find your own rotations is inexcusable (there are a couple of schools that are notorious for this). The only rotations you should need to find on your own are 4th year elective “away” rotations, if you choose to do any.

Reactions: 2 users
Being asked to find your own rotations is inexcusable (there are a couple of schools that are notorious for this).

Hypothetically if I had to do this, would I literally be calling hospitals asking them to take me on for X number of weeks in Y clinic?

Members don't see this ad :)
Having options in terms of timing and location of rotations is good. Being asked to find your own rotations is inexcusable (there are a couple of schools that are notorious for this). The only rotations you should need to find on your own are 4th year elective “away” rotations, if you choose to do any.
Indeed. This is a weakness of newer DO schools.

Hypothetically if I had to do this, would I literally be calling hospitals asking them to take me on for X number of weeks in Y clinic?
Yes. If you are considering one of these schools, get the specifics and make sure you speak with some of the students

• Love
Reactions: 1 users