Scheduling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtn0417

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious how people are scheduled when working as an EP. I have heard of being scheduled 6-months at a time with ability to work more one month and then have more time off the following month, so long as the hours requirement is filled and the ED is properly staffed. I am interested in EM and am looking forward to starting medical school next year.
Also, those of you in residency and beyond, have you found a particular D.O. institution that consistently produces notably well prepared EM residents? I do understand that there is a tremendous amount of variability based on personality alone. Thanks and I appreciate any input :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

As far as scheduling, do you mean how far in advanced are schedules usually made out? I will be interested to hear about those replies as well. At my medical school, the attendings stayed about a month ahead.... here at my residency, its usually pushing 2 months ahead.

I just put my January requests in now. Febuary is already covered cause I know I'm getting the whole month off. If you want a high demand week(spring break, etc..) you have to request it a year in advance. Most months I can get 1-2 weeks off easily as long as they don't include any holidays. Holidays are virtually impossible to get off and our holiday schedule is set a year in advance. Some of our part timers work 6 months on, 6 months off, but their job security isn't as good.