Question for Locum EM docs: Scheduling for extended travel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThrowawayAccount12

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am a current R2. I wanted to ask a question of some attendings who live or have lived the locums life. I have some plans that will likely take me out of country for ~1 year after I graduate. My plan would be to fly back stateside once every 3-4 weeks and work (anywhere) for ~10 days or so and repeat. My timeframes are not concrete in any way, but that gives a rough idea of how I'm hoping time can be allocated. Are there locums groups that a very rough schedule like this is possible? My livings costs will be minimal so most of the money will go towards student loan debt and I primarily am hoping to just keep my clinical skills up vs. making lots of money that year.

Any insight appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

You choose your schedule doing locums. Send them your availability, some sites will have no problem, some may only take you up on 6 or 8 shifts. I work at 3 sites that would be fine with this, especially if you told them "pick any 10 consecutive days each month". If you ask for a specific 10 days, might be tougher.

You choose your schedule doing locums. Send them your availability, some sites will have no problem, some may only take you up on 6 or 8 shifts. I work at 3 sites that would be fine with this, especially if you told them "pick any 10 consecutive days each month". If you ask for a specific 10 days, might be tougher.

Appreciate the reply. Sounds like if I'm flexible that this will be feasible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure they'd pay for flights, but hotel and rental cars for sure.

Definitely possible.

Might be hard to find gigs in major cities but if you're willing to drive a couple hours and staff rural hospitals you'd shouldn't have any trouble picking up shifts.

Get a decent gig for your first 2 years out. There’s a tremendous amount of learning and reinforcement that lends to expertise and skill permanence. Don’t cheat yourself of that experience unless you have to... I’d find a good gig, buckle down and pass your boards, maybe even pay off those loans and then you can pull a locums gig so you can world travel. Is there another reason you’ve got to be gone for a year? What a terrible time to be working minimum shifts in likely crappy environments.

Weatherby would probably easily work something out for you if you’re committed to that course. They aren’t going to pay for your flights into the country but you could ask... They might do it if they were lowballing your hourly rate. They were pretty organized when I worked for them and made everything painless.

I agree starting out doing Locums may stunt your growth but eventually you will do fine. You can sign up as a firefighter and give them 7-10 straight days a month without much issues.

But man, you will be so beaten down at these places eventually. They only need Locums/firefighters in places that are difficult to work/staff. If you can do it, then its actually pretty easy to do.

Reactions: 1 user