Scholarship for Disadvantaged Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTinthemaking15

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of this scholarship
before?

Scholarships for Disadvantaged Students Program – Technical Assistance | Bureau of Health Workforce

Is it the same as the NHSC scholarship? I’m reading through the guidelines, and they explain this:

The SDS program aims to increase the: 1) number of graduates practicing in primary care, 2) enrollment and retention of full-time students from disadvantaged backgrounds including students who are members of racial and ethnic minority groups, and 3) number of graduates working in medically underserved communities”

I can’t tell if they require you to serve as a PCP, or if I just have to serve in a rural area.

Edit: Nvm... Just read the deadline +pity+

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard of this scholarship
before?

Scholarships for Disadvantaged Students Program – Technical Assistance | Bureau of Health Workforce

Is it the same as the NHSC scholarship? I’m reading through the guidelines, and they explain this:

The SDS program aims to increase the: 1) number of graduates practicing in primary care, 2) enrollment and retention of full-time students from disadvantaged backgrounds including students who are members of racial and ethnic minority groups, and 3) number of graduates working in medically underserved communities”

I can’t tell if they require you to serve as a PCP, or if I just have to serve in a rural area.

Edit: Nvm... Just read the deadline +pity+

This is not the NHSC Scholarship. The program that you are referencing appears to require participation/application from your school (in addition to application from the individual recipient).

Unlike the NHSC Scholarship program, there appears to be no particular service requirement. There is a cap to coverage of tuition/fees with this program that does not exist with the NHSC Scholarship.

There are many other differences that I noticed. These are simply two different programs that happen to both fall under HRSA.

This is not the NHSC Scholarship. The program that you are referencing appears to require participation/application from your school (in addition to application from the individual recipient).

Unlike the NHSC Scholarship program, there appears to be no particular service requirement. There is a cap to coverage of tuition/fees with this program that does not exist with the NHSC Scholarship.

There are many other differences that I noticed. These are simply two different programs that happen to both fall under HRSA.

Oh my gosh, I apologize for not responding to this message. Apparently I overlooked my alert. Anyways, after reading through this scholarship, is it too late to apply? I noticed the deadline to apply is January 25th, 2016, but I may be overlooking something.

Has anyone received the SDS scholarship at their school? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that dental schools must apply to receive funds by the early March deadline and then, if the dental school receives the funds, each dental school distributes the money internally in about October or November.