Scholarship for Disadvantaged Students

Discussion in 'NHSC | PHS | IHS' started by DPTinthemaking15, Feb 9, 2019.

1. DPTinthemaking15

Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Has anyone heard of this scholarship
    before?

Scholarships for Disadvantaged Students Program – Technical Assistance | Bureau of Health Workforce

Is it the same as the NHSC scholarship? I’m reading through the guidelines, and they explain this:

The SDS program aims to increase the: 1) number of graduates practicing in primary care, 2) enrollment and retention of full-time students from disadvantaged backgrounds including students who are members of racial and ethnic minority groups, and 3) number of graduates working in medically underserved communities”

I can’t tell if they require you to serve as a PCP, or if I just have to serve in a rural area.

Edit: Nvm... Just read the deadline +pity+

#1 DPTinthemaking15, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  2. simpler2

simpler2 person
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This is not the NHSC Scholarship. The program that you are referencing appears to require participation/application from your school (in addition to application from the individual recipient).

Unlike the NHSC Scholarship program, there appears to be no particular service requirement. There is a cap to coverage of tuition/fees with this program that does not exist with the NHSC Scholarship.

There are many other differences that I noticed. These are simply two different programs that happen to both fall under HRSA.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...