1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Scholarship for Disadvantaged Students

Discussion in 'NHSC | PHS | IHS' started by DPTinthemaking15, Feb 9, 2019.

1. DPTinthemaking15

Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Has anyone heard of this scholarship
    before?

Scholarships for Disadvantaged Students Program – Technical Assistance | Bureau of Health Workforce

Is it the same as the NHSC scholarship? I’m reading through the guidelines, and they explain this:

The SDS program aims to increase the: 1) number of graduates practicing in primary care, 2) enrollment and retention of full-time students from disadvantaged backgrounds including students who are members of racial and ethnic minority groups, and 3) number of graduates working in medically underserved communities”

I can’t tell if they require you to serve as a PCP, or if I just have to serve in a rural area.

Edit: Nvm... Just read the deadline +pity+

#1 DPTinthemaking15, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  2. simpler2

simpler2 person
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This is not the NHSC Scholarship. The program that you are referencing appears to require participation/application from your school (in addition to application from the individual recipient).

Unlike the NHSC Scholarship program, there appears to be no particular service requirement. There is a cap to coverage of tuition/fees with this program that does not exist with the NHSC Scholarship.

There are many other differences that I noticed. These are simply two different programs that happen to both fall under HRSA.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OP
    OP
    DPTinthemaking15

Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Oh my gosh, I apologize for not responding to this message. Apparently I overlooked my alert. Anyways, after reading through this scholarship, is it too late to apply? I noticed the deadline to apply is January 25th, 2016, but I may be overlooking something.