Scholarship for Disadvantaged Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nycpremed85

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Everyone!

First things first, I just got my first acceptance which happens to also be my top choice school! 😀 (SUNY Downstate) I plan to attend Downstate and will withdraw from the other schools.

While I am still high from being accepted to a Med School, I now worry about the finances. I have good stats (3.7GPA, 36R MCAT), but I don't think there are any Merit scholarships at Downstate. My parents are seperated and I live w/ my mom who earned ~24k in 2007. She also supports my younger bro and sis. My dad earned less than 10k for the year, but he does not support me or us in any way. I worked for a few months at the end of 07 and made ~2.5k.

My question is to anyone out there familiar w/ SUNY Downstate's Scholarship for Disadvantaged Students or their Tuition Waiver... Has anyone received either of these? If so do you think my situation would be eligible/what kind of eligibility requirements do they have?

Any ideas are appreciated!