Scholarship hasn't made 1st tuition payment yet, facing disenrollment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1738boy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be starting med school in about 10 days and my first tuition payment is due August 1st. I have a full scholarship from the government but I've kinda been ghosted and haven't received any info on what's going on. My med school requires first year students to pay on time otherwise we sacrifice our spot in the class. I've contacted both scholarship and med school personnel to maybe get a grace period or something but haven't gotten a response yet and will try calling tomorrow.

In the mean time, does anyone have experience with a situation like this? The government will obviously pay their dues eventually but I also know that they can be fickle with when the payments are made so it would suck to be disenrolled because they didn't pay on time.

Members don't see this ad.

Make sure you are in constant contact with your financial aid office. That's really all I can recommend. Someone should be able to put a hold on any potential dismissal as long as you have concrete proof that the gov't is paying for tuition.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
If necessary, take out a loan.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to be starting med school in about 10 days and my first tuition payment is due August 1st. I have a full scholarship from the government but I've kinda been ghosted and haven't received any info on what's going on. My med school requires first year students to pay on time otherwise we sacrifice our spot in the class. I've contacted both scholarship and med school personnel to maybe get a grace period or something but haven't gotten a response yet and will try calling tomorrow.

In the mean time, does anyone have experience with a situation like this? The government will obviously pay their dues eventually but I also know that they can be fickle with when the payments are made so it would suck to be disenrolled because they didn't pay on time.
What's a full scholarship from the government? HPSP?

Whatever it is, there would have to be communication between the school and wherever your scholarship is coming from to make arrangements for the payments. Has that happened yet? If so, you are probably fine. If not, you might have a problem.

If you are being ghosted, are you sure you have a full scholarship? Don't you have an award letter to present to the school? A lot of money flowing into most schools is through government loans and scholarships. The government is actually pretty good about getting money where it needs to go, and schools are pretty good about extending deadlines if they know the money is coming.

If your money is not coming from the US government, then all bets are off and you better get that money by 8/1, or find a way to make that first payment and get a refund later when your government money comes through.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Very sorry to hear about this! It's important for you to be proactive and be constantly on the phone talking to people and trying to get answers to your situation. Do not wait for people to contact you

Reactions: 1 users
Call the financial aid office and speak with an actual human being. This is stress inducing, but as long as you speak with an actual person and stay on top of this you will NOT lose your spot--it's WAY too much work for the school to disenroll you and fill your spot because the federal government is slow.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users