Scholarship hasn't made 1st tuition payment yet, facing disenrollment

Started by 1738boy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

1738boy

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm going to be starting med school in about 10 days and my first tuition payment is due August 1st. I have a full scholarship from the government but I've kinda been ghosted and haven't received any info on what's going on. My med school requires first year students to pay on time otherwise we sacrifice our spot in the class. I've contacted both scholarship and med school personnel to maybe get a grace period or something but haven't gotten a response yet and will try calling tomorrow.

In the mean time, does anyone have experience with a situation like this? The government will obviously pay their dues eventually but I also know that they can be fickle with when the payments are made so it would suck to be disenrolled because they didn't pay on time.
 
Make sure you are in constant contact with your financial aid office. That's really all I can recommend. Someone should be able to put a hold on any potential dismissal as long as you have concrete proof that the gov't is paying for tuition.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm going to be starting med school in about 10 days and my first tuition payment is due August 1st. I have a full scholarship from the government but I've kinda been ghosted and haven't received any info on what's going on. My med school requires first year students to pay on time otherwise we sacrifice our spot in the class. I've contacted both scholarship and med school personnel to maybe get a grace period or something but haven't gotten a response yet and will try calling tomorrow.

In the mean time, does anyone have experience with a situation like this? The government will obviously pay their dues eventually but I also know that they can be fickle with when the payments are made so it would suck to be disenrolled because they didn't pay on time.
What's a full scholarship from the government? HPSP?

Whatever it is, there would have to be communication between the school and wherever your scholarship is coming from to make arrangements for the payments. Has that happened yet? If so, you are probably fine. If not, you might have a problem.

If you are being ghosted, are you sure you have a full scholarship? Don't you have an award letter to present to the school? A lot of money flowing into most schools is through government loans and scholarships. The government is actually pretty good about getting money where it needs to go, and schools are pretty good about extending deadlines if they know the money is coming.

If your money is not coming from the US government, then all bets are off and you better get that money by 8/1, or find a way to make that first payment and get a refund later when your government money comes through.
 
Last edited: