scholarship question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Supermann

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering when you should ask about scholarship availabilities or eligibility. Should you bring it up during the interview or do they let you know if you're eligible sometime after you've been accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Anytime is a good time to talk money. Don't get too caught up on the amount of the scholarship, look at the cost of attendance, tuition, and then the amount of scholarship they are willing to give you. Some schools throw large numbers at you, but when all of the numbers are crunched, other schools who offered you less in scholarships are cheaper.

Also, remember that most of the students that are getting into school are from the top 10-20% of their class. But half of you will be in the bottom half of your class. If your scholarship is based on your rank or GPA, you might lose that money and be stuck at a more expensive school.

I also was wondering if pod schools give out much in scholarships. Can anybody provide information on the tuition costs for each pod school? Maybe we could compile the costs of each school to help those like me decide. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Catayst said:
I also was wondering if pod schools give out much in scholarships. Can anybody provide information on the tuition costs for each pod school? Maybe we could compile the costs of each school to help those like me decide. Thanks

Unlike MD/DO schools, DPM schools have very comparable tuition costs from one institution to another. I checked out a few just to compare for the year 2005-2006: CSPM, Scholl, and Azpod were all $23,XXX per year. Also, you can check out each website and find out their GPA cut off's for different scholarships and other avaliable funding.

Good Luck :thumbup:

Thanks for the advice, I've found the estimated annual tuition costs for each school:
AZPOD: 22,000
CSPM: 23,813
DMU: 22,840
NYCPM: 23,080
OCPM: 23,000
Temple: 24,308, 26,778 for out of state...those bastards
SCPM: 24,530
Barry: Can't find their tuition

You guys are right, you can't really pick a school based on the costs. I was figuring I'd apply to all of them and see if I get a scholarship heh, but I'll just look more into their academic strengths.
Suprised to find admissions don't require an essay

Catayst said:
Thanks for the advice, I've found the estimated annual tuition costs for each school:

You guys are right, you can't really pick a school based on the costs. I was figuring I'd apply to all of them and see if I get a scholarship heh, but I'll just look more into their academic strengths.

If you are concerned with costs, check out the cost of living around each school. Some of the schools are located in fairly expensive areas.

I'm pretty sure that a personal statement is required as part of the application paperwork.

Catayst said:

I am pretty sure most require a Personal Statement and it is a requirement to have a LOR from a DPM you shadowed.

Jon is absolutely correct. You need to look at the cost of living in different areas. Also, you should look into how much scholarship $$ is avaliable at each school.

Here is some scholarship and financial aid info for Scholl:
http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/scpm/studentservices/financialaid.cfm

Also, you need to consider the type of curriculum and school atmosphere you feel comfortable in.

Good Luck!

Barry's tuition for the DPM program is $23, 625.

Catayst said:

doclm said:
I am pretty sure most require a Personal Statement and it is a requirement to have a LOR from a DPM you shadowed.

Jon is absolutely correct. You need to look at the cost of living in different areas. Also, you should look into how much scholarship $$ is avaliable at each school.

Here is some scholarship and financial aid info for Scholl:
http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/scpm/studentservices/financialaid.cfm

Also, you need to consider the type of curriculum and school atmosphere you feel comfortable in.

Good Luck!

This info I posted is a bit outdated, however I believe that they still have similar scholarships.

your goal should be to get into DMU, AZpod, or scholl in no particular order.

do not worry so much about finances and scholarships. it is nice to get them but in the end your education is more important than money.

you'll have the rest of your life to pay back the loans and if your loans out live you... who cares. no one will enherit them.

Ask Suzy Orman, student loan debt is not bad debt.

krabmas said:

do not worry so much about finances and scholarships. it is nice to get them but in the end your education is more important than money.

you'll have the rest of your life to pay back the loans and if your loans out live you... who cares. no one will enherit them.

Agreed :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
krabmas said:

Haha. I still like your plan. Pass away before debts paid. :laugh:
Yeah tell Orman it ain't bad debt, unless you're like me and -- it's like $500-600,000! :laugh:

capo said:
Haha. I still like your plan. Pass away before debts paid. :laugh:
Yeah tell Orman it ain't bad debt, unless you're like me and -- it's like $500-600,000! :laugh:

what????!!!!

how many degrees have you collected? or should I say how many times have you changed your mind? :smuggrin: :laugh:

to the poster that doesn't know suzy orman... have you never watched oprah. suzy has her own show now. she has a book or few. please climb out from under the rock. JK. but really watch some meaningless TV once in a while.

krabmas said:
what????!!!!

how many degrees have you collected? or should I say how many times have you changed your mind? :smuggrin: :laugh:

to the poster that doesn't know suzy orman... have you never watched oprah. suzy has her own show now. she has a book or few. please climb out from under the rock. JK. but really watch some meaningless TV once in a while.
How about Carlton Sheet's Real Estate Investment Program? Seems like a good way to pay off my debt huh? Better than school, you think? Oh wait, krab I'll just wait for you to divorce your hubby, than I'll move in and sign a pre-nup with you, how's that? Yeah sounds like a good plan to me, you agree? Can you payoff my debt? Sure you can, you'll be rich. :p

PS - What's this about changing my mind? :confused: I got to have one to change in the 1st place. Rest assured my dear, like you, I've not got one. :laugh: You also still owe me a pm reply, doncha?

krabmas said:

Sadly I don't have time for TV anymore. :oops: But the internet...that's another story :laugh:

purpledancinduc said:
Sadly I don't have time for TV anymore. :oops: But the internet...that's another story :laugh:

no time for TV? :eek:

that's anti-american, sac-religious, and just plain wrong :laugh:

Supermann said:
I was wondering when you should ask about scholarship availabilities or eligibility. Should you bring it up during the interview or do they let you know if you're eligible sometime after you've been accepted?

Don't be a typical reactive student, caught up in the "scholarship game." To me it's like those mailers that you get telling you you've won something.

To me, some schools only selling point for high achievers seems to be $. Maybe these schools know at the heart of every honor student is pride and bragging rights on who's smarter...... and therefore the scholarship and the dean's list become critical. These could be used as marketing tools.

The student gets excited about being honored with a few bucks off of tuition. Then when they see some of their emotional and "intellectual" peers (but hey, anything for the grade...right?) they faint and I've even heard of persistent nightmares many years later.

I guess that one really has to be cautious as to which crowd they "run" and are associated with!

To be honest, I’d personally like to see the schools prohibited from offering ANY incoming scholarships.

whiskers said:
Don't be a typical reactive student, caught up in the "scholarship game." To me it's like those mailers that you get telling you you've won something.

To me, some schools only selling point for high achievers seems to be $. Maybe these schools know at the heart of every honor student is pride and bragging rights on who's smarter...... and therefore the scholarship and the dean's list become critical. These could be used as marketing tools.

The student gets excited about being honored with a few bucks off of tuition. Then when they see some of their emotional and "intellectual" peers (but hey, anything for the grade...right?) they faint and I've even heard of persistent nightmares many years later.

I guess that one really has to be cautious as to which crowd they "run" and are associated with!

To be honest, I’d personally like to see the schools prohibited from offering ANY incoming scholarships.

Interesting idea about no incoming scholarships, but I'm in agreement. I think some schools use money not quality education to attract higher end students. Maybe they should put that money back into the school and make they education worth a darn.

Dr_Feelgood said:
Interesting idea about no incoming scholarships, but I'm in agreement. I think some schools use money not quality education to attract higher end students. Maybe they should put that money back into the school and make they education worth a darn.

But, pod school today costs as much as most state-supported MD and DO schools (although the private ones can be much more). Yet, pods make less after residency, making repayment of loans harder. Don't you think that the possibility of getting a scholarship for pod school (and having significantly decresed debt) is a good idea in that respect?

scpod said:
But, pod school today costs as much as most state-supported MD and DO schools (although the private ones can be much more). Yet, pods make less after residency, making repayment of loans harder. Don't you think that the possibility of getting a scholarship for pod school (and having significantly decresed debt) is a good idea in that respect?

This may be true with many specialties but I dont think this is true when comparing to FPs, Peds or even internal med, which the majority of graduates enter into.

Just for an example...

let's say you decide to go to pod school and you get no scholarships so you are in debt about $150,000.

Now let's say you get into pod school D which gives you $10,000 for the first year and if you are in the top of the class $5,000 each year. so now you owe back to the gov $30,000 minus the $150,000. is $120,000 really that much different than $150,000 when thinking about your education and the amount borrowed?

And if you were to get that much money from pod school D it is doubtful that you would get nothing from pod school A (the better school). So then you are really comparing $140,000 to $150,000 to $120,000 when paying them back there isn't that big a difference. And I said it before - there is no reason to rush. take your time paying back student loans especially if you consolidated at a low rate. If you pay off the student loans but then have to borrow money for something else but the rate is like 8% it is not worth it when the loans are closer to 4%.

I hope this wasn't too confusing.

scpod said:

Most scholarships that are offered to podiatry students come after your 2nd year. Then companies and organizations know that you are more than likely going to contribute to podiatry. I would like to see more scholarships after your 1st and 2nd year. It would end up equaling out in the end. Lets say you would have received 4K you 1st year and 4K your second; give a 8K scholarship in the 2nd year.

IlizaRob said:
This may be true with many specialties but I dont think this is true when comparing to FPs, Peds or even internal med, which the majority of graduates enter into.

Especially DO graduates. I think 70% enter primary care.

DPM's can be well off depending on what kind of deals they take after residency. If you are going to enter just any old Podiatry practice, you will make less. However, if you shoot for multispecialty or ortho groups, you will make much more. I spoke with a DPM who graduated from DMU and got done with his PM&S-36 from Yale 5 years ago. He now makes 250-300K per year only working 3.5 days a week in a Ortho group that focuses on the foot and ankle.

Dr_Feelgood said:
Most scholarships that are offered to podiatry students come after your 2nd year. Then companies and organizations know that you are more than likely going to contribute to podiatry. I would like to see more scholarships after your 1st and 2nd year. It would end up equaling out in the end. Lets say you would have received 4K you 1st year and 4K your second; give a 8K scholarship in the 2nd year.

what is the point of this... I am not sure I understand why you want it that way?

The sposored scholarships are after the 1st, 2nd and 3rd years at NYCPM but the school it self offers upto $10,000 to incoming students with the grades.

krabmas said:
is $120,000 really that much different than $150,000 when thinking about your education and the amount borrowed?

Yes, it is. At 8%, you add 65$ interest per month for every $10,000 you borrowed. That means you would not only have $30,000 extra in debt, but $195 more per month ($2,340 per year) added to your debt. Remember, you can only deduct $2,500 a year total for student loan interest from your taxes, but your interest on $150,000 is $11,700 per year.

The original point was if NYCPM put that money toward the facility and faculty, they would offer a better education. Why do some pod schools throw money at students instead of a quality education?

If they could not offer scholarships until the 2nd year, they would make more money (students that do not matriculate). That money could be used to increase scholarships for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th years. This also ensures the schools give the scholarships to students who will produce in med school not undergrad.

I said it would be interesting. It could possibly make the lower end schools work on the curriculum b/c they cannot just give large scholarships to get the students.