Scholarships and GI bill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fliflopmaestro

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the medical schools I have been accepted to gave me a good scholarship that goes towards tuition, not full tuition but a decent amount. It is a state school and as I have all 36 months of GI Bill, I was planning to pay the tuition with my benefits. So, do I just decline the scholarship? As far as I understand, the GI bill would pay only the outstanding amount after the scholarship.

Members don't see this ad.

One of the medical schools I have been accepted to gave me a good scholarship that goes towards tuition, not full tuition but a decent amount. It is a state school and as I have all 36 months of GI Bill, I was planning to pay the tuition with my benefits. So, do I just decline the scholarship? As far as I understand, the GI bill would pay only the outstanding amount after the scholarship.

If it's a fenced scholarship (only toward tuition) then yes, your GI Bill would only pay the difference. If the scholarship happens to be a non-fenced scholarship (may go toward any school expenses) then you'd still have the full GI Bill intact plus the $1000 annual book stipend.

Since the scholarship can only go towards tuition, it really doesn't matter if you decline the scholarship or not. The GI Bill in this case would act as a "top-off" program and pay the difference. If it means someone else qualifies for the scholarship if you decline then I suppose that's incentive to pass it up. Other than that, you're fine either way.

Reactions: 1 users
If it's a fenced scholarship (only toward tuition) then yes, your GI Bill would only pay the difference. If the scholarship happens to be a non-fenced scholarship (may go toward any school expenses) then you'd still have the full GI Bill intact plus the $1000 annual book stipend.

Since the scholarship can only go towards tuition, it really doesn't matter if you decline the scholarship or not. The GI Bill in this case would act as a "top-off" program and pay the difference. If it means someone else qualifies for the scholarship if you decline then I suppose that's incentive to pass it up. Other than that, you're fine either way.
TYSM