Scholarships at Virginia state schools (VCU, UVA) - what did you get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VAhopeful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi people. I am applying to Virginia schools for entry in 2009 and I want to find out more about scholarships at both of those schools for in-state students.

I have looked on both the UVA and the VCU web sites but they both lack any real good information.

For an applicant with a GPA of 3.8 and an MCAT of 32, in-state, with nothing especially bad or great about the rest of the application, is there any chance of a scholarship at either school?

What if I retook and tried to bump the MCAT up to 33 or 34?

Did any of you get awarded scholarships at either of these schools? If so, do you mind me asking what your stats were (roughly) and how much you were offered?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi people. I am applying to Virginia schools for entry in 2009 and I want to find out more about scholarships at both of those schools for in-state students.

I have looked on both the UVA and the VCU web sites but they both lack any real good information.

For an applicant with a GPA of 3.8 and an MCAT of 32, in-state, with nothing especially bad or great about the rest of the application, is there any chance of a scholarship at either school?

Did any of you get awarded scholarships at either of these schools? If so, do you mind me asking what your stats were (roughly) and how much you were offered?

This isn't about the VA schools, but concerning you retaking the MCAT.. I would say definitely don't. I think percentage wise you have about an 85% chance of doing equal or worse than your previous 32. Its not worth the work and risk of getting a lower score.

This isn't about the VA schools, but concerning you retaking the MCAT.. I would say definitely don't. I think percentage wise you have about an 85% chance of doing equal or worse than your previous 32. Its not worth the work and risk of getting a lower score.

You're right. It is a tough call and it might be a stupid move. But if I am borderline for scholarships, I would probably risk retaking.

To broaden the initial question, does anyone know what kinds of scholarships are offered at each of those two schools?

Thx

Members don't see this ad :)
The chances for a scholarship to medical school are very low in general. If you don't think there's anything special about your application, then I wouldn't expect one. Even if you do score much higher on the MCAT, merit-based scholarships these days are looking for something extra on top of good grades. I wouldn't retake the MCAT since your score is adequate and, in my opinion, the risk of doing worse outweighs the possibility of doing better.

A caveat: The chances of one are better if you're an underrepresented minority.

I can give you some more information about UVa when I can get my hands on the interview packet later today.

Yea, I'm looking into VA state schools as well. UVA MSTP is probably my top choice. Any info on that would be helpful too. I talked to the director of admissions at VCU before and they say that they do give out merit scholarships but she wouldn't say how much or how many.

Yeah, it's not encouraging, but that's the reality of things. I wouldn't be worried about the finances, if that's why you're pursuing scholarships, as there's plenty of good loans out there, many of them interest-deferred during enrollment. You won't be hurting for money for long after you finish your residency.

I looked over the financial aid information from UVa, it says that all scholarships given out by the office are need-based and doesn't go into more detail. They have a quality package that'll meet most of your need with a low-interest deferred institutional loan.

You probably already know this, RapplixGmed, but all MSTP programs are fully-funded. I don't know anything about UVa MSTP beyond that. But you've got some amazing numbers, good luck to you.

I had a higher gpa and higher mcat plus in state and didn't get scholarships at either. Unless you have something exceptional, don't expect one. But if you're URM, you can sing a happy song.

I had a higher gpa and higher mcat plus in state and didn't get scholarships at either. Unless you have something exceptional, don't expect one. But if you're URM, you can sing a happy song.

Very bad news. So most people (URMs not included) pay full whack?

Stupid question, but is the total amount needed (tuition, living, books, etc.) covered by loans? Is there ever a shortfall that isn't covered, and if so, how do people manage?

So from what I learned about Finaid from Uva:

Government subsidized loans max: 8500 (no interest until grad- no parent info)
Gvt unsubsidized loans max: up to 32K (6.8% interest- no parent info)
School Financial aid scholarship max: 13K (need based- requires parent info)
School loans: no idea what the max is, I guess the remaining difference (5% interest POST graduation, no interest during school and first 6 months out)

If this STILL Doesn't cover...or you don't qualify but parents won't give you jack, you need private loans from say Citibank of B of A.

http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/financial-aid/costs.cfm

MOST people certainly pay either now or later. If you look at MSAR at many places >70% are on some sort of financial aid. Scholarship/loans/etc not specified.

Hey VAHopeful, right now I am waiting on financial aid packages from both VCU and UVa. VCU emailed me about being recommended for a $4k/year scholarship, and I haven't heard anything from UVa. I have my fingers crossed for some free money (grants, scholarships) but I'm not holding my breath. I have roughly a 3.7/35 S and otherwise pretty solid application, in case you are wondering (and I'm not URM).

In general, I think UVa gives $13,000 in grants to in state students with financial need (based on your parent's income) and covers the rest with loans. They budget more than you need in loans, so running out should never be a problem unless you are trying to support a family on your award amount. I think the total debt a UVa student is looking at is roughly $37,000 in loans a year for a total of around $150,000 plus whatever builds up from interest.

Anyhow, I will post again once I get my actual award amounts. PM me if you haven't heard anything from me by May as I will likely forget.

Thanks for all the info.

Joining the military or something like that is looking attractive right now. Or just saying screw it and working through years 1 and 2 and 4.

Its not worth taking the MCAT again, medical schools give away very few scholarships.

uva is pretty good with need-based aid, and there are scholarships for ppl who promise to go into primary case ("general scholars program") but i'm not aware of any scholarships for academic merit, except for 1 full-tuition given to one MS4 each year.

UVa FinAid came in a few days ago!

Total cost: 52,000
Need-based Scholarships: 23,000
Merit-Based: 0

Total not covered by scholarships: 52,000 - 23,000 = 29,000/yr!

They have several low interest loans as well, which will cover over half (I think) of that remainder.

Overall, I am very happy with the financial aid package. I qualified for exceptional need-based aid and I will graduate with reasonably low debt paying pretty much nothing out of pocket. Based on my experience, I really encourage any of you with financial need to look at UVa, both for undergrad and med school.

Wahoo-wa!