Scholarships / financial aid for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Godsman08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heres the deal. I am thinking about entering med school. However, I will probably get married within the next 2 years and, unfortunately, my girlfriend has cystic fibrosis. She gets some social security, but I don't think its enough to support us. Plus, a full time job is too hard on her. Does anyone know of any scholarships, finanacial aid, or grants that would help support our marriage through med school? Is there finanacial aid for the SPOUSE'S of someone thats terminally ill? Another thing, once we get married will social security $ go up? And is there any way it will go up if they know I am going to med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Heres the deal. I am thinking about entering med school. However, I will probably get married within the next 2 years and, unfortunately, my girlfriend has cystic fibrosis. She gets some social security, but I don't think its enough to support us. Plus, a full time job is too hard on her. Does anyone know of any scholarships, finanacial aid, or grants that would help support our marriage through med school? Is there finanacial aid for the SPOUSE'S of someone thats terminally ill? Another thing, once we get married will social security $ go up? And is there any way it will go up if they know I am going to med school?

Unfortunately, Med school is not designed for married, let alone Married spouse w/out job or Married w/kids. Probably going to have to suck it up and get more loans. Many of us non-trads will have big debt. Many of us have kids and some with multiple kids. Most of us get the gov't loan + a private loan every year (Bank of America Maximizer or such). Downsize your lifestyle, live in a hole, walk/ride your bike to school, don't use a/c, cook all of your meals, take a lunch everyday (that a group isn't sponsoring a luncheon... Pharm Free Sucks), don't drink, smoke or smile :laugh:. Seriously, you can cut back... on something. It ain't fun, but it isn't that bad either.

I have no idea about the soc sec thing going up... I doubt it.