Scholarships for White Dudes?

bigmuny

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2003
Los Angeles
    Go talk to the financial aid depaartment at your school, they will likely have a book of all the scholarships out there. You can then spend the day sorting through them seeing what you qualify for(i've done this). There are plenty of scholarships, but many are for 500 or a 1000 bucks, and each requires essay, and many have some sort thing they want in return, ect..it can be time consuming applying, and alas I am too damn lazy. But go take a look you might just be the person that the rotary club of xxxx, usa is looking for.

DoctorInSpace

7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Oct 27, 2003
      Take a look into National Health Service Corp, as well. You can look it up on the internet. It has a committment attached to it, as do most large scholarships. Check to see if your school has any fellowships that offer to pay for your tuition for some or all of your years there. Another alternative, w/lots of committment as well, is the military, which is the road I took. I'm a poor white female, so I don't know if you think I'm close enough to your demographic to give good advice.

In any case, best of luck! There's lots of money out there to be had, if you search hard enough.

About the Ads

bigmuny

7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Apr 25, 2003
      Los Angeles
        DoctorInSpace has also pointed out some good alternatives which I forgot to mention. There are big money scholarships available as well(fulll ride up front, but you gotta give em something back), military, NHSC(primary care only), and most states have some programs available for people interested in working in rural/underserved areas(likely primary care only).

rprice54

15+ Year Member
        Mar 19, 2004
        Tampa, FL
          Man, I flipped through some HUGE listings of scholarship/grant opportunities before med school, 3 or 4 volumes= zero for white dudes.

Looking back as a soon to graduate 4th year, don't sweat the small stuff. $500-1000 is nothing. Most people (who don't have MD's for parents or wealthy spouses) are graduating with close to $100K in loans these days, and that's at a state school.

I just had to get to a point where I accepted it and moved on. I wasn't crazy with the loan money or anything, I lived on a very tight budget, but still graduating close to 70K in debt.

jhug

1K Member
          10+ Year Member
          15+ Year Member
          Nov 12, 2001
          Valley o' the sun
            M.S.T.P., National Health Service Corp, Military HPSP,
            Military FAP

good list...too bad they aren't for Caucasians...they just don't exclude white's
            I saw a funny (not meant to be a flame) bumper sticker...it said "now that i'm the minority...where's all my free stuff":laugh:
            (in phoenix, you can really feel like the minority)

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.