Scholarships, Top 20s, and Rock Stardom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Walter Raleigh

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a White male from New York.
ECs:
Graduated college May 2017 and applying this cycle for 2019 matriculation
820 hours research with 3 poster presentations
400 hours on ambulance corps as attendant
100 hours volunteering in local emergency room
130 hours nonclinical volunteering - mentoring students, soup kitchens, miscellaneous stuff.
300 hours as private MCAT tutor.
50 hours shadowing local doctors - radiology, emergency medicine, physiatry.
1400 hours as triathlete (trained and competed solo; was not on a college or any other team)
MCAT: 130/130/130/130

Are there any schools that give out a lot of scholarship money that I might want to apply to?

The learned @Goro has said that I was a "rock star applicant"; why do you say that, when I have a GPA that is at or below the 10th percentile at most top-20 schools - the very schools you urged me to apply to? I don't think my ECs are at all stellar enough to compensate for my (by top 20 standards) below-average GPA and average MCAT. They seem, instead, to be average at best, not "rock star tier". @gyngyn, @LizzyM, care to weigh in on this? It just puzzles me a bit.

Members don't see this ad.

This is a great teaching moment to remind pre-meds that you CAN'T fixate on a single metric. Your ECs are killer and you have a killer NCAT score.

But hey, if you want to apply to my school instead, we'll take you.

Reactions: 1 users
Goro: thank you for the words of wisdom. If we were to rank ECs by tiers, this was my understanding:

"Good" ECs, one step above "Cookie cutter" ECs:
  • 400+ hours of volunteering, with no less than 100 hours in either the clinical or nonclinical category.
  • 50+ hours of shadowing.
  • 400+ hours of research, maybe one poster presentation.
"Excellent" ECs. One step above "good":
  • 1,000+ hours of volunteering, maybe with leadership in said volunteering organization
  • Athletics, though not Division I or pro
  • 1,000+ hours of research with poster presentations or pubs in small journals as other than first author
"Killer" ECs. One step above "excellent"
  • Founder of successful nonprofit or small business.
  • Division I athlete
  • Peace Corps
  • Teach for America
  • First-author publication, or any author in Nature, Science, or Cell.
"Rockstar" ECs. One step above "killer" and extremely rare.
  • Military service.
  • Professional athlete.
  • Refugee.
  • First-author publication in Nature, Science, or Cell.
  • Founded a large, impactful (regional or national) nonprofit or business.
  • Any other world-class achievement: concert pianist, Pulitzer Prize winner, Olympic medalist, full tenured professor at elite university.
"God Tier" ECs. Extraordinarily rare; may come once or twice per generation.
  • Medal of Honor.
  • Nobel Peace Prize.
  • World-renowned athlete: think Michael Phelps, Gabby Douglas, Serena Williams.
I am quite flattered and impressed that you consider my ECs to be "killer" - the same appellation that you give to people who've completed tours in the Peace Corps and TFA! Of course, these "tiers" may be all wrong.