Scholarships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DNALadder2002

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you applied and get outside scholarships, do you have to notify the financial aid office? And if you have to inform them of your outside scholarships, do they take that into consideration when deciding the amount you receive from others sources? I guess my question to you is: will it be worth the energy to get outside scholarships?

Members don't see this ad.

I just did a search on scholarships and there are, it looks like, a ton of them available. Especially if you are a minority (not necessarily by med school standards, either). So many to apply for, so little time...

Try a generic search on google for "medical school scholarships."

At my school, you do have to notify fin. aid about any outside awards. I got an outside scholarship, and my Perkins loan was decreased by that amount. I begged to have one of my other loans decreased (not my 5% one!), but apparently the policy here is that the best ones go first. It was still worth it, though; since my school doesn't offer any grant money, any outside awards go to decrease my overall loan burden.