Scholarships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scottscottdom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you go to your interview do they tell you about scholarships or do you have to apply before you go?

Members don't see this ad.

When you go to your interview do they tell you about scholarships or do you have to apply before you go?

First of all, how on earth would you go to an interview without applying to the school? And yes they will tell you in detail about scholarships when you interview. You can also just call their admin office and ask about it

I think the OP means applying for the actual scholarship before going to the interview...

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as academic scholarships, you need not apply, they just award them.

Of course I applied and got an interview, I was talking about the scholarships. Thanks bobdolerson you answered my question.

Doh...that's what I get for posting on SDN when I'm sleepy. :p

Yeah whether or not you get a scholarship is not something you can apply for or control. You either qualify or you don't. Usually it's based on some kind of cumulative score of your GPA + MCAT (where if you get above a certain cutoff you qualify for something). Depending on the school, the awards can vary drastically.

Some schools emphasize GPA over MCAT. Others, Temple in particular, place 2/3 of their scholarship consideration on your MCAT score. However, rest assured, if you receive scholarship money from 1 school, you will probably receive money from the other schools as well.

Well, I applied and was accepted to DMU. I did not get any scholarships. The person from the financial aid office said that the money "ran out" as if the money had feet. Looks like I am getting exposed to feet before starting the classes.

Well, I applied and was accepted to DMU. I did not get any scholarships. The person from the financial aid office said that the money "ran out" as if the money had feet. Looks like I am getting exposed to feet before starting the classes.

aw darn.... i heard up north was the land of the plentiful

You didn't miss a whole lot. I believe the maximum they offer is 4 thousand a year, renewable upon being in the top 25% (way harder than it sounds...).

I still came here for other reasons, but a bigger tuition cut would have been nice.

Wait they gave 4k max? Omg. I thought they didn't appreciate mah mad skillz. Major sad face.

Yes, some schools offer half tuition. Some schools offer a scholarship for first year only and others offer renewable based either on class rank or maintaining a gpa.

One of the many pros/cons to add to the lists of schools. I chose DMU because I figured I'd rather pay a bit more for my education for a place with consistently high board scores and 100% residency placement.

I think it was SM in Cali that offered me half tuition, and a couple other places offered something comparable. DMU was the lowest that I saw (note: i didn't see them all), but also had the lowest cost of living and seemed to offer the best bang for my buck.

BTW, this isn't a debate, not trying to say anything about other schools, I'm just giving some insight as to my reasons for choosing a school that offered less scholarship money. It felt to me as though some of the schools were trying to buy my attendance, but DMU seemed to feel they didn't need to offer much money for me to want to come here. Seems they were right...