Scholl vs Kent State CPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gymwarrior

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was recently accepted at Kent State, and was invited to interview at Scholl, Temple, NYCPM, and AZPOD. I fell in love with the campus at Kent State, and loved the atmosphere at the school. I live in Chicago, so Scholl is naturally the other choice. However, I am very worried about a bad atmosphere at the school. I'm not a fan of a competitive and demeaning atmosphere, and I was worried about the school integrating its classes with the MD students. I have heard bad things about it, saying that the MD students look down onto the Pod students, faculty cares more about MD, and that there is an atmosphere of unhealthy competition. Is this true? Or is classes with MD's a good thing? Thanks for your help
:idea:

Members don't see this ad.

When I as looking at schools and deciding which ones to interview at I also had this question. I talked to the admissions staff at each school about why they integrate/why they don't. I also asked about what the school does to assist in the unity of all medical science learning. The admissions staff is always willing to answer questions. Another help was PMing those in the forum who decided to attend an integrated program and those who decided not to.

Good Luck!!

When I as looking at schools and deciding which ones to interview at I also had this question. I talked to the admissions staff at each school about why they integrate/why they don't. I also asked about what the school does to assist in the unity of all medical science learning. The admissions staff is always willing to answer questions. Another help was PMing those in the forum who decided to attend an integrated program and those who decided not to.

Good Luck!!

exactly. But perhaps the best source of info on this matter are current students-they are you're best eyes and ears since they live in these circumstances day-in/day-out.

When I interviewed at Scholl, the student reps said that perhaps some MD students have the high n mighty attitude at first, but quickly realize that pod students can play ball too. In fact, when it came to their LE anatomy, the allopaths would ask pod's for tips/hints/help. So for the majority of students, no one knows who is MD or DPM until midterms hit (MD exams are longer/more subjects integrated)!

In the end, I think that being in an MD/DO environment would help your grades if you're the type of person that enjoys 'healthy competition' in the sense that it would motivate you to be on your toes/never want to be caught with your pants down, especially to the people who will be our greatest source of referrals :laugh:. In the end, the feeling I got was that no one/nothing is out to get you/prevent you from doing your best/putting you at a disadvantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
You know, I too at one point was really torn between Scholl and KSUCPM. The main thing for me was that Scholl scrambled around 27 students last year and KSUCPM around 16 and having said that KSUCPM had a bigger class as well. Scholl is also more stressful than KSUCPM because they jammed all of their old third year classes into the second year under their new curriculum whereas at KSUCPM it is much more spread out and less stressful. I still loved both schools though but KSUCPM has a less stressful environment.

Hi,
I was recently accepted at Kent State, and was invited to interview at Scholl, Temple, NYCPM, and AZPOD. I fell in love with the campus at Kent State, and loved the atmosphere at the school. I live in Chicago, so Scholl is naturally the other choice. However, I am very worried about a bad atmosphere at the school. I'm not a fan of a competitive and demeaning atmosphere, and I was worried about the school integrating its classes with the MD students. I have heard bad things about it, saying that the MD students look down onto the Pod students, faculty cares more about MD, and that there is an atmosphere of unhealthy competition. Is this true? Or is classes with MD's a good thing? Thanks for your help
:idea:

The competition is what you make of it. At Scholl, our class works together very well. Everyone wants to see each other succeed. That doesn't mean people don't want to one up their buddies, but that is a case by case thing.

As for competition between programs, there are d*cks in every program. There will be people in each program: PA, MD, CRNA, PT, POD, ect that think that their program is the hardest and everyone is is below them. It is just a fact of life, you collect a group of smart individuals and some will think they are better than others. For the most part having classes with people from other programs is no big deal. Most of the people are really cool and could careless what program you are from.