School A vs. School B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTnow123

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm having a hard time picking which DPT school I should attend. I'm reaching out for some help.

School A: This program is 3 years old and not yet accredited but seems to be on the right track to get accredited. The program seemed very organized in the interview and they are expecting accreditation within the next year. There is no information on the NPTE pass rates yet. This program would be about an hour and 5 minute commute from my apartment (65 miles). Tuition for the whole program is ~$97,000

School B: This program is 10+ years old and accredited. Everyone I've talked to enjoys the program and they have a 97% NPTE pass rate. This program would be a 15 minute drive from my apartment (10 miles). Tuition for the whole program is ~$117,000

To me, school B is the right choice but the tuition being higher is making it really hard for me to decide. I know everyone on this forum says go to the cheapest school possible. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know where you're from, but that extra 110 miles per day would start to add up really quick. Assuming class 5 days a week for ~120 weeks, that's about 66,000 miles. Even a good car at 35 mpg is close to 2,000 gallons, which could be as much as $6,000. Then you're adding in the extra 90 minutes of driving each day, and it seems like life would be easier at school B.

With it being closer to home, and accredited, it doesn't seem like too difficult of a decision. Good luck either way :)

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with above poster, sure money saved is nice in tuition but time on the road and wear and tear on the car could add up too. If it was a bigger difference in tuition than maybe but to me the closer school is what I would do. Others liked the programs but did you have a draw more for one than the other? Also see what scholarships are available or things like that, maybe that could balance out the difference or at least make it smaller.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, the second school is the better option. It would give you so much more time to study and rest. And the above brings a good point about gas and car expenses

Definitely School B. You do NOT know if school A gets accredited - too much risk. 1.5h extra commute a day is insanity unless you find driving relaxing and enjoyable. Agreed w/ the posts above regarding gas prices + car wear and repairs. Price difference seems to be very small compared to the risk you would take with school A. You will just need to work an extra year or so to pay off your student loan if going to school B.
Overall, all accredited programs are pretty much the same. NPTE passing rates are the same for all accredited schools. "School vibes" are solely applicants' perception and are based on how well the school is presenting itself. If you ask people who graduated from any PT school, most of them say their program was ok and could have been better.