School Acceptance Statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

syll

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have been looking through a couple schools, and there is one school that I really want to go to in California. However, I was looking at the acceptance stats and it said only 5% of out-of-state applicants were accepted. I'm a non-resident, and it has discouraged me from applying to this school. Any advice on whether I should even bother applying?

Members don't see this ad.

Out of curiosity what school?

Can anyone provide any insight into why schools only accept a certain percentage of IS vs OOS applicants?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure. They may have certain quotas they need to fill if they are a public school.

My school is probably 60-40 in state vs out of state.

Unless you really want to go to this school, then I wouldn't apply. You would have to be an exceptional student to get one of the few slots it allocates to OOS applicants. Even if you were accepted, you would pay much higher tuition, maybe even more than you would pay at a private school.

Kevin

@jdaniels360:

Some state-supported institutions have a mandate to accept or at least prefer resident students, on the theory that those students are more likely to stay in the state and contribute to the economy.

In addition, the preference or quota could be related to support. That is, the families of the students and the students themselves have been subsidizing the operations of the program/university for probably two decades. The thinking is they deserve some preference because they've made the program possible.

Indiana University does not have a preference for residents or nonresidents. Certainly our nonresident tuition is higher. However, it's still very competitive with many private institutions and our ranking is in the top 20%.

Good luck to you on your search! It does help to apply broadly, but only to those places that you are comfortable going if admitted.

Josh Morrison
Director, Student Enrollment Services
IU School of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

I was under the impression that those were just stats from the last cycle and not a fixed percentage..but I'm not sure

I just saw that some programs actually state on PTCAS that they prefer "instate" ex. NAU

@ptlover, i was thinking about samuel merritt

I am faculty at a state school. We give preference for instate. For our initial screening to invite for interviews, we stratify by state residency and look at GPA and GREs to figure out who to invite for interviews. As soon as applicants are invited for interviews,there is no more preference. Everyone gets ranked together. We get about 25% in state applications and 75% out of state, but end up with about 2/3 in state; we assume those out of state get accepted to their state school and go there or a tuition scholarship at a private school.

@ptlover, i was thinking about samuel merritt

I don't really understand your current stat since Merritt is a private institution and shouldn't really have IS or OOS preference. After a quick glance at the stat myself, I interpret it as 5% of the total student body is from OOS, not that only 5% of OOS students were accepted. So if 10 OOS students applied and 2 were accepted...that would give OOS students a 20% acceptance rate, if all things equal. But they're not and we would need more data to have a more conclusive result.

Last edited:
Can anyone provide any insight into why schools only accept a certain percentage of IS vs OOS applicants?

State schools also get funding from their respective state. That funding comes from state tax payers which subsidize state tuition costs. Thus preference are given to residences within that state.