School Advice Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smeagol3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've already posted this in "DAT Discussions", and got good advice, but only got two responses. I was hoping for more feedback if possible, so here goes.

I just took my DAT and am not too pleased with my scores.
PAT/QR/Bio/GC/OC/RC/AA
20/16/19/19/18/19/18

I really thought the QR, was easy. However, I didn't skip problems like I should have been. Due to this I wasn't able to even answer the last 4 problems of mine because I had the calculator up and as I was attempting to answer, my submission of my answers were cancelled, which put me in a panic with 10-15 seconds left.

I have a 3.8 GPA, 3.7 science GPA, over 100 hours shadowing and about 1,300 or so hours doing community service. Yes, I know my GPA and DAT don't exactly match up. My practice scores were all in the 18-22 range for BC. So I thought I'd be within that or slightly better.

I'm mostly worried about my OC and AA scores. I personally know of several people with 16 and 17 QR's who are now in dental school (Creighton, UW, MW-AZ) who got 19AA's. However, my AA is a little lower. Their AA's were only higher because their RC's were higher than mine though.

Anyways, I've already applied to 7 schools before my DAT was taken and was curious what other schools I should apply to now to increase my odds?

So far I've applied to both Midwesterns, ASDOH, MOSDOH, Case Western, LECOM, Roseman. I live in the state of Idaho, therefore I am not apart of WICHE and have no state school.

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've already posted this in "DAT Discussions", and got good advice, but only got two responses. I was hoping for more feedback if possible, so here goes.

PAT/QR/Bio/GC/OC/RC/AA
20/16/19/19/18/19/18

I really thought the QR, was easy. However, I didn't skip problems like I should have been. Due to this I wasn't able to even answer the last 4 problems of mine because I had the calculator up and as I was attempting to answer, my submission of my answers were cancelled, which put me in a panic with 10-15 seconds left.

I have a 3.8 GPA, 3.7 science GPA, over 100 hours shadowing and about 1,300 or so hours doing community service. Yes, I know my GPA and DAT don't exactly match up. My practice scores were all in the 18-22 range for BC. So I thought I'd be within that or slightly better.

I'm mostly worried about my OC and AA scores. I personally know of several people with 16 and 17 QR's who are now in dental school who got 19AA's. However, my AA is a little lower. Their AA's were only higher because their RC's were higher than mine though.

Anyways, I've already applied to 8 schools before my DAT was taken and was curious what other schools I should apply to now to increase my odds?

Thanks!!!
My scores were almost identical to yours. But I did end up with a 19AA due to a 21 GC and 21 RC. I also had 16 QR because I did EXACTLY what you did. Your GPA is fantastic (much higher than mine) and while your scores are slightly lower than the average matriculation, you have to know that some people got in with 18AA or even 17AA to make the average what it is.

Without knowing which schools you applied to, it's impossible to tell you which schools to add. For the record, I applied to 14 schools, got 3 pre December interviews and 2 December 1 acceptances. I was offered a post December supplemental to Maryland, which usually means they want to interview you, but as I had already been accepted to one of my reach schools, I didn't bother.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for the response @Daneosaurus

I have edited my post with the schools I've applied to thus far as well as my state residence. What other schools do you recommend I add? I was assuming I would apply to 13-16 schools with my scores that I got. I just read your breakdown! It was hard to find but I found it. I really want to avoid a retake just like you did, so whatever schools I should apply to, I will.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Due to this I wasn't able to even answer the last 4 problems of mine because I had the calculator up and as I was attempting to answer, my submission of my answers were cancelled, which put me in a panic with 10-15 seconds left.

Just curious, but what did you mean by your answer submissions being cancelled? Can you elaborate on the situation (just so I know what not to do during the exam lol)?

Just curious, but what did you mean by your answer submissions being cancelled? Can you elaborate on the situation (just so I know what not to do during the exam lol)?

So if you have your calculator pulled up while trying to click on an answer, the calculator basically overrides your submission of that particular question answer and your answer won't be submitted through, it will be as if you didn't even answer the question.

Just exit out of the calculator when clicking an answer and you won't have an issue like me.

Good luck!

So if you have your calculator pulled up while trying to click on an answer, the calculator basically overrides your submission of that particular question answer and your answer won't be submitted through, it will be as if you didn't even answer the question.

Just exit out of the calculator when clicking an answer and you won't have an issue like me.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! :) I'll try to remember that come exam day. By the way, your GPA is spectacular along with your shadowing and volunteer hours. I wouldn't sweat your DAT scores so much. As for the low QR, and don't quote me on this, but from reading different threads, I'm getting the consensus that QR scores don't matter as much. I'm sure you'll receive some interviews regardless!

Good luck!
Wow I feel like 1/2 the DAT is just unnecessarily inconvenient. Calculators blocking your answer, only getting 2 sheets to write on WITHOUT erasing, not being able to draw grids during the tutorial, not being able to review answers during the test until the end, etc. It's not too bad but some of this stuff could easily be improved (if they wanted to)

Thanks for the advice! :) I'll try to remember that come exam day. By the way, your GPA is spectacular along with your shadowing and volunteer hours. I wouldn't sweat your DAT scores so much. As for the low QR, and don't quote me on this, but from reading different threads, I'm getting the consensus that QR scores don't matter as much. I'm sure you'll receive some interviews regardless!
They don't matter almost at all. I mean, I got into Pitt with a 16QR

PAT/QR/Bio/GC/OC/RC/AA
20/16/19/19/18/19/18

I'm mostly worried about my OC and AA scores. I personally know of several people with 16 and 17 QR's who are now in dental school (Creighton, UW, MW-AZ) who got 19AA's. However, my AA is a little lower. Their AA's were only higher because their RC's were higher than mine though.

Anyways, I've already applied to 7 schools before my DAT was taken and was curious what other schools I should apply to now to increase my odds?

So far I've applied to both Midwesterns, ASDOH, MOSDOH, Case Western, LECOM, Roseman. I live in the state of Idaho, therefore I am not apart of WICHE and have no state school.

Thanks!!!
I think with your gpa you dont have to add schools