School Choice Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Typatt50

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been waitlisted at my top choice and accepted at my second and third choice. My second choice is requiring me to sign a waver by april 30th if I choose to accept the offer saying I must withdraw from all waitlists (which I believe is not following the traffic rules). However, it seems like this really isnt enforceable, but I assume it would create a problem if I stayed on a waitlist but accepted theyre offer. The gap between my 2nd and 3rd choice isnt huge, and they would allow me to stay on a waitlist, so it is still a strong possibility. What is my best course of action? Would it create a big issue if I backed out after signing a contract (albiet non binding) saying Id withdraw from waitlists? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe schools can have their own policies and that is enforceable ie they can rescind your acceptance if you do not follow their policy.

Can't really comment on the decision making, but if you want to hold out or your #1 and #2/#3 are relatively equal it sounds like 3 would be better.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, the traffic "rules" are just suggestions. Schools can do whatever they want. If they see that you sign the waiver but remain on other waitlists, they could rescind your acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the help. Pretty unfair for schools to require this, but what else would you expect.

thanks for the help. Pretty unfair for schools to require this, but what else would you expect.
I certainly wouldn't expect this. I am disappointed that a school would force someone to give up waitlist positions in contravention of the AAMC guidelines. I've been doing this MD-PhD thing for a long time, and have experienced those unpleasant May, June, July, or even August surprises of students withdrawing to take offers at other programs. It stinks, but it comes with the job description. You just have a smaller class this year, and maybe increase your target for next year. Perhaps more than any other academic entity, the MD-PhD program ethos is marked by collegiality and commitment to the community's greater good. Part of this includes accommodating a student's desire to be in the program that best fits their personal criteria. If that happens to be my program, great. If not, that's not so great, but I want that student to be in the program that is best for them, and would presumably give them the best shot at success in becoming a physician scientist. After all, we may want to recruit them to our faculty in 15 or 20 years, and we want them to be as well-trained as possible.

Reactions: 8 users