school choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hmp12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does where you go to school matter in Pharmacy in terms of getting hired after the graduation? I know for dentistry what school you go to doesn't matter since most of the dentists will be self-employeed. How about pharmacy? in terms of both hospital and retail?

Members don't see this ad.

not now, but longterm, once the market becomes saturated with pharmacists, i think it will.

It didn't used to when there were only 70 schools. Now that we're seeing all of these Jim Bob's school of pharmacy joints opening up everywhere, it will surely matter in due time. In 4-5 years, I'd wager. Even sooner in the saturated markets.

Members don't see this ad :)
We just covered this in class... how in 2010 there will be 130 pharmacy schools. When will this stop? :rolleyes:

It didn't used to when there were only 70 schools. Now that we're seeing all of these Jim Bob's school of pharmacy joints opening up everywhere, it will surely matter in due time. In 4-5 years, I'd wager. Even sooner in the saturated markets.

Wait, why didn't I apply to Jim Bob's school of pharmacy? I'm sure I'll be missing out. All internet classes sound so informative! I could wear my pajamas all the time. ;-)

On a more serious note, I think going to a good school with a decent reputation is probably fine (i.e. you don't have to worry about whether you're attending the best school ever). Pharmacy school to me sounds kind of like undergrad, to the extent that school is what you make of it.

One thing I learned while applying: ask local pharmacists their opinions of the schools. You'll learn a few things about the reputations of the schools, and what's good and bad about their alma mater.

We just covered this in class... how in 2010 there will be 130 pharmacy schools. When will this stop? :rolleyes:

Same thing that happened to Psychology Ph.D/Psy.D programs.

Online programs, non-funded "Vail model" Psy.D barely-accredited programs with "big names" like Stanford-PGSP charging $300,000 for a Ph.D or Psy.D... It diluted the quality of doctorate-level psychologists since the mid-to-late-90s... now "stand alone" universities offering doctorates are cropping up everywhere, eager to take your money.

The same will happen with pharmacy, I'm sure.