school comparison

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hope280

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any advice on which school to pick:
Penn state, Vermont, Drexel, or NYMC.
I have a very tough decision ahead of me and could use any advice anyone has. Thank ya.

Members don't see this ad.

my opinion will be biased since i was accepted to vermont and have not heard back from the other schools you have listed.

i loved vermont. the school and the students and the scenery. just wow. tho it costs a lot.

from my friends and people that have interviewed at penn st. its like a hit or miss. some love it but others complain about how there isnt much around the school.

nymc - really nice school, with nice facilities. gotta love the new childrens hospital (if you are into peds). lots of cali kids (could be a + or - depending on how you look at it haha) good board scores.

and i have no experience with drexel other than reading things on sdn.

maybe id put uvm and nymc in my final 2 and go from there.

the only prob with vermont is that it is far away from any real city. 6 hrs from New York and 4 from boston but who wants to go to baaston. also the tuition is really really high.l

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say Vermont. I don't know have experience with Drexel/PSU, but I liked Vermont much more than NYMC. I think the students seemed much happier and less stressed, the VIC is cool, and once the new med school building is complete, it should be pretty sweet. Also, I think it's cool that a small state school is as dedicated to research/giving student reserach opportrunities as UVM.

All in all, I think Vermont is an up and coming school, definitely headed in the right direction. NYMC was fine, but I just couldn't get over the kind of gloomy, stressed out atmosphere that permeated the place.

In any event, Boston>>>>>>>>>>>>>>San Francisco. And it's 3 hours from Burlington, not 4.

go to nymc if u wanna match into a good residency spot. they churn out pretty intense usmle numberrs.

the problem with nymc is that there is no good coffee shop to study in. It might be silly to pick med schools based on the proximity of coffee shops but yet......

Originally posted by hope280
the problem with nymc is that there is no good coffee shop to study in. It might be silly to pick med schools based on the proximity of coffee shops but yet......

hey its the next 4 years of you life...and if you have the luxury of having schools to choose from...you have the the right to choose it anyway you please.

about uvm...lots of people go to canada and they say its really fun there. i forget what city is close by...i think ontario? not sure...but there is a big city nearby thats only about 1.5 hours away.

and even tho the first 1.5 years is tough...you still finish the preclinical in 1.5 years. and get to start to good stuff earlier.

Vermont is cleary the best of the four you have to choose from.

Vermont is next to Montreal. Montreal is great city. Also, you are done with course work in a 1 and 1/2 years. You also have the chance to do portions of your clerkships in Portland, Maine. You can spend months, somethink like 6 months, in Maine and they give you free housing when you are in Maine. Maine Medical is a good hospital, strong in most areas. Portland is a vibrant, fun city with good places to eat and great cultural opportunities, and you're on the water. So, you get a mix. The class size at Vermont is small, faculty, I hear, are quite approachable and strong. Choose Vermont.