School Conduct / criminal record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeeKay310

TK
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Edit-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I feel like the ethical thing to do would be to report it. It's also the safer thing to do in case it somehow shows up somewhere on your your application and you didn't report it that would be even worse. Definitely demonstrate that the incident was in the past and that you grew and learned from the experience.

Throw it on there. That's nothing.

But you know, bookstores have been robbing us for years, right? The publishers anyway. I just want to know what you forgot to pay for. I mean, who hasn't walked out with a clicker, or lab goggles, or track suit every once in a while?

(If by 'store' you mean a store-store and not a bookstore, I'm still curious. Don't leave me hanging. Thanks.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Since it was dismissed you were not convicted of the crime. Unfortunately it will show up on a background check. You can have your record exponged, and it won't show up. But really, stealing books ain't that bad.

Edit - if you are curious as to how the incident will show up, you can get a copy of your records anytime.

On the same note, I got caught with alcohol in the dorms. No cops or anything, just "one strike" on my school record.

Should I pack up and go home now?

Well, I asked the conduct office and they said they don't mark anything on the transcripts unless I was suspended or dismissed. But they do still hold a record of conduct academic issues. Would dental schools have access to that when I apply? Also, how would I get my record exponged, and would that prevent it from showing up on a background check? thanks
I cannot speak for all professional schools, but after one of my best friends was accepted and decided to go to his medical school of choice, he had to fill out a mountain of paperwork and have a whole bunch of stuff sent directly to the medical school he had decided to attend, including official transcripts and a report on any actions the university had taken against him, whether or not they were currently on his transcript. Not to mention the background check they conducted. I do not know enough to know whether this is how every school works, but it wouldn't surprise me if any number of schools did this.

To my understanding, getting a record expunged should prevent it from showing up on your background check, but you will have to hire a lawyer and go through the court system for that. First you have to make sure that the charges are eligible for expungement (don't ask me about requirements, I just did a quick google search) and then you will have to go through the process with the court. Not sure how long that process would take or what the likelihood of it getting expunged is. You're better off talking to a lawyer about that than you are to us.

On the same note, I got caught with alcohol in the dorms. No cops or anything, just "one strike" on my school record.

Should I pack up and go home now?
No, don't be ridiculous. People certainly get accepted with a strike like that on their record (and for worse things). But the one strike alcohol type of incident is a pretty common thing that happens to a lot of people and it turns out okay.

Last edited: