School list advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tgd11

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for advice on building school list for this cycle. Primary already submitted with the info. below. Any help is much appreciated.
Last year, I had fewer hours scribing, with no other physician observation. In the last year, I shadowed two physicians and kept scribing, this time outside of ED and in outpatient. I also did most of my volunteering in the last year and started working another (biomedical) job, so these are other relevant changes from last year's application. FWIW I applied later in the cycle last year (August 28 to September 15).

Degree: Foreign language
State: OH
cGPA: 3.28
sGPA: 3.60
Postbac: 4.0
MCAT: 517
Paid Clinical: ~1200 hrs scribe across multiple specialties
Shadowing: 11 hrs between 2 additional specialties
Clinical volunteering: 60 hrs
Non-clinical volunteering: 75 hrs
Research: 180 hrs lab + 2 poster presentations; 180 hrs in biomedical engineering job somewhere between academia and industry

Applied last year to:
-OSU
-Cincinnati
-Boonshoft
-Toledo
-Case western
-Pittsburgh
-Dartmouth
-Tufts

I had 2 interviews and 2 waitlists. No acceptance so far, and the race is almost run. For the 2020 cycle, I will probably be removing the bottom four and will be will be adding NeoMed and Ohio University. What do you guys think about my chances for the others on my list from last year, and what schools should I add? I am fine going OOS, but was really hoping not to be shouldering an exorbitant debt burden. Thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

Looking for advice on building school list for this cycle. Primary already submitted with the info. below. Any help is much appreciated.
Last year, I had fewer hours scribing, with no other physician observation. In the last year, I shadowed two physicians and kept scribing, this time outside of ED and in outpatient. I also did most of my volunteering in the last year and started working another (biomedical) job, so these are other relevant changes from last year's application. FWIW I applied later in the cycle last year (August 28 to September 15).

Degree: Foreign language
State: OH
cGPA: 3.28
sGPA: 3.60
Postbac: 4.0
MCAT: 517
Paid Clinical: ~1200 hrs scribe across multiple specialties
Shadowing: 11 hrs between 2 additional specialties
Clinical volunteering: 60 hrs
Non-clinical volunteering: 75 hrs
Research: 180 hrs lab + 2 poster presentations; 180 hrs in biomedical engineering job somewhere between academia and industry

Applied last year to:
-OSU
-Cincinnati
-Boonshoft
-Toledo
-Case western
-Pittsburgh
-Dartmouth
-Tufts

I had 2 interviews and 2 waitlists. No acceptance so far, and the race is almost run. For the 2020 cycle, I will probably be removing the bottom four and will be will be adding NeoMed and Ohio University. What do you guys think about my chances for the others on my list from last year, and what schools should I add? I am fine going OOS, but was really hoping not to be shouldering an exorbitant debt burden. Thanks all
Suggest
ALL OH schools
Vandy
Duke
Columbia
Wayne State
BU
NYMC
EVMS
UCSF
Albany
Netter
Tufts
Pitt
Rush
Loyola
Wake
Miami
Tulane
Creighton
SLU
Drexel
Gtown
GWU
TCC.UNT
NovaMD
Seton hall
Emory
Hofstra
Dartmouth

Any DO school except the five on my Bad Boy list.

Suggest
CCom
KCU
OHCOM
WVSOM
LECOM
PCOM
VCOM
MUCOM
NYITCOM
KCOM
DMU

Thank you for your reply Goro.

FYI, I am ORM. I am just a little baffled to see Vanderbilt, Columbia and Duke on that list. What do you think could have gone so wrong last cycle that I have a shot at those schools, yet got nothing out of all but two that I applied to in 2019? Is applying in late August / early September just that fraught? I did update the two schools that interviewed me throughout the year, but that didn't seem to help much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously your application was well done since your got interviews a higher ranked programs. It would have been more ideal if you added a few hundred volunteer hours of each type in the year that elapsed since your last application. Did you make any new additions to your application since last year? When does your MCAT expire? If you get any interviews you should make sure you prepare and practice to the best of your ability. Also, instead of applying to a few schools for several years in a row, why not consider applying to 20 or so schools this time around including every single state school and other well selected ones.

Obviously your application was well done since your got interviews a higher ranked programs. It would have been more ideal if you added a few hundred volunteer hours of each type in the year that elapsed since your last application. Did you make any new additions to your application since last year? When does your MCAT expire? If you get any interviews you should make sure you prepare and practice to the best of your ability. Also, instead of applying to a few schools for several years in a row, why not consider applying to 20 or so schools this time around including every single state school and other well selected ones.

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, as noted, vast majority of the volunteer hours were added in the last year, and I started a second job while continuing scribing. Shadowed a couple docs, though I didn't do much of this as I was continuing to accumulate clinical hours as a scribe. MCAT was taken 7/2018. Will definitely be adding many more schools this time around. Preparing more thoroughly for interviews is a great idea too.

Can you try to get to at least 50 hours of shadowing in the next few weeks?

Can you try to get to at least 50 hours of shadowing in the next few weeks?

In the next few weeks, 25 is realistic with current work and volunteer commitments. I already submitted my primary last week, though..

@Goro , I checked out all the stats distributions of the schools on your list. Just curious, what makes schools like Columbia, Vanderbilt, Duke and UCSF possibilities and not mere donations? Their MCAT medians are all quite high, and their 10th percentiles for AO GPA are well above mine.. I want to hope! but I also want to be realistic for myself.