School List Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliforniaAsian

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was hoping I could get some feedback on my school list. I've applied once before to MD-only programs three years ago, got two IIs at very good schools but no acceptances. I've since completed a master's and decided to do MD/PhD because I really, really want to go into medical academia and be a PI. Heavy narrative on being in academia with teaching, research, and medical practice.

Relevant stats: uGPA ~ 3.8, master's GPA 3.4 (there's a good explanation) combined uGPA and master's ~ 3.7
MCAT: 36 (old) 520 (new)
Work/Activities: 6 years structural biochem research since freshman undergrad ~8,000 hours currently, one second-author pub in a tier 2 journal (Nature subjournal), comparatively minor posters, presentations, abstracts. All in the same lab, currently working full-time in the lab as a researcher.
Teaching: 3 years ~1500 hours
Volunteering: helping deaf preschoolers learn how to listen and talk with hearing aids/cochlear implants, tutoring low-income middle and high school students, ~300 hours
Clinical: 50 hours shadowing in outpatient clinic (only one doctor), 200 hours in ICU and ED
Extracurricular/leadership: Head TA, helped start a campus org
Look at my username.

Master's GPA explanation: Most of my graded units were my thesis project. My PI graded me poorly because my project had a bunch of unpublishable negative results. My PI is definitely going to write a very good letter explaining why I didn't get an A for my thesis research, and he's told me directly that I'm a very good researcher and I had to go through a lot of hoops to finish my thesis. I had to essentially abandon my first project because it wasn't going anywhere and start up a second one, which went much more smoothly.

Albert Einstein
Baylor
Boston U
Brown
Case Western
Columbia
Cornell
Duke
Dartmouth
Emory
Georgetown
Harvard
Johns Hopkins
Mayo
Mt. Sinai
Northwestern
Penn State
Stanford
Tufts
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
UChicago
UPenn
UPittsburgh
USC Keck
UT Houston
UT Southwestern
UVirginia
Vanderbilt
WUSTL
Yale

I'm not doing CASPER, so no CASPER schools (NYU, UMich, UNC, UColorado, etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
CASPer is super easy and relatively cheap. Why not apply to those schools? I know it's an extra hoop to jump through, but it's like the smallest hoop and has little to no affect on your being accepted since CASPer is mostly required by schools just evaluating it as a predictive tool for future cycles.

Have you submitted your primary yet? If not submitted + verified, I would suggest being more aggressive with your timeline.
Agreed with above poster about CASPER. Schools like NYU could be good to add.