School List, CA, 3.9+, 518

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drex123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Year in school - Junior, applying this cycle

Country/state of residence - CA

Cumulative GPA - 3.95 (a bit lower, C in a high school college class... 3.9ish?)

Science GPA - 3.96

MCAT Scores - 518 (128/126/132/132)

Research – None. I know this hurts, but there's no way I could've done it. (advisor said not necessary, and I've got other time commitments). Tried to get in labs over summers, last summer went to Estonia to study Russian...this summer have Navy training (hard to get a position when I'm gone 1/3-1/2 of the summer)

Volunteering (clinical) – VA hospital, 160ish hours...200 by application time. advisor was ADCOM at 2 schools, said emphasize longevity over brute hours (I've been there over 1.5 years)

Physician shadowing – ED- 20 hours going to shadow family practice 10 hours this month already have some lined up for over summer

Non-clinical volunteering - Local animal shelter - 70 hours as of now

Volunteering at a dog rescue this summer

Extracurricular activities - Navy ROTC, honestly takes up most of my time (if it counts as EC). But I have tons of leadership experience from this

Played cello in the orchestra for all of college (still going)

Learning/Speak a bit of Russian

Intramural sports, a lot

Employment history - none since started college. Navy technically employs me over summer...so that?

This ROTC thing isn't really a normal thing, so I'm not sure how adcoms would view it.

Also got a scholarship to study Russian abroad last summer, took some time away from ECs..not sure where that fits in

School List

1. UCSD

1. UCR

2. UCLA

3. UCI

4. UCD

5. UCSF

6. Temple

7. Jefferson

8. Penn

9. Drexel

10. USUHS

11. Georgetown

12. GW

13. Mt Sinai

14. Einstein

15. Other schools that would be a good idea? Thoughts on current ones? Thinking to add a few more reach schools

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest:

UCSD
UCR
UCLA
UCI
UCD
Temple
Jefferson
Drexel
USUHS
Georgetown
GW
Einstein
Emory
Hofstra
SLU
BU
Keck
Rochester
Mayo
U AZ
U CO
U UT
Tufts
Netter
Creighton
Wake

Thanks for the reply! I'm assuming the ones you removed (Penn, UCSF, Sinai) were extremely research oriented? Would you think it would be good to add a few more reaches or no? There's a few (mayo, utah, creighton) that I might consider removing (other reasons), but I'll definitely keep the others!

Thanks for the reply! I'm assuming the ones you removed (Penn, UCSF, Sinai) were extremely research oriented? Would you think it would be good to add a few more reaches or no? There's a few (mayo, utah, creighton) that I might consider removing (other reasons), but I'll definitely keep the others!
The research powerhouses will want research. I'm not a fan of reaches, I'm a fan of being practical. I'm gambling that your ROTC will make up for the lack of service, hence my inclusion of many service loving schools.