School list-Canadian Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chemdude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying next year.

GPA:4.0/80 credits
MCAT: Didn't take yet. 37+ on all AAMC practice tests. Plan on taking it next spring.
EC's: Average
Research: 2 years biology research. No publications.
Clincal Experience: Average.

Note: My list looks pretty "top-heavy", but these are the only Canadian/International friendly schools.

Washington U
Yale
Northwestern
Johns Hopkins
Harvard
Cornell (Alma Mater)
Columbia
Duke
Emory
Vanderbilt
UT Southwestern
Dartmouth
Case Western
U of Virginia
Indiana U
St. Louis U
U of Kentucky
Wayne State
SUNY Upstate
GWU

Should I add/delete any schools?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Applying next year.

MCAT: Didn't take yet. 37+ on all AAMC practice tests. Plan on taking it next spring.

Note: My list looks pretty "top-heavy", but these are the only Canadian/International friendly schools.

Washington U
Yale
Northwestern
Johns Hopkins
Harvard
Cornell (Alma Mater)
Columbia
Duke
Emory
Vanderbilt
UT Southwestern
Dartmouth
Case Western
U of Virginia
Indiana U
St. Louis U
U of Kentucky
Wayne State
SUNY Upstate
GWU

Thanks.

If you plan on applying to all those top schools, you will need a publication. Otherwise, most of them will not take you, even with a 37 (because you are an international applicant). The other schools are fine.

Thanks for the advice camaras2480.

Anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would have to say, it's a new one to me that a publication is an unwritten requirement for the "Top Twenty," though it certainly might be helpful. Having two-plus years of substantive research experience seems to be sufficient.

I'd take off Indiana (takes 4 intl with in-state ties) and add Rosalind Franklin (takes 16 intl). What about Boston, Jefferson, Loma Linda, and PennState, which all take internationals?

I would have to say, it's a new one to me that a publication is an unwritten requirement for the "Top Twenty," though it certainly might be helpful. Having two-plus years of substantive research experience seems to be sufficient.

I don't know - I feel like an international candidate really needs to stand out at top tier schools, and a publication is the only way to do so in terms of research. And after 2 years of research, students should generally have some type of documentation - whether it be conference journal or abstract presentation.

Applying next year.

Washington U
Yale
Northwestern
Johns Hopkins
Harvard
Cornell (Alma Mater)
Columbia
Duke
Emory
Vanderbilt
UT Southwestern
Dartmouth
Case Western
U of Virginia
Indiana U
St. Louis U
U of Kentucky
Wayne State
SUNY Upstate
GWU

Thanks.

A 4.0 student at Cornell is mind boggling. Congrats on the hard work. The research is also good, although it would be nice to get published or something. what is your definition of "average" for clinical and EC? Give us some examples

Side note:
whats up with Canadian students applying to American schools? i thought they had respectable schools in Canada??

I'd take off Indiana (takes 4 intl with in-state ties) and add Rosalind Franklin (takes 16 intl). What about Boston, Jefferson, Loma Linda, and PennState, which all take internationals?

I had a list that included those schools, but I decided to take them off. I was looking for schools with a high international interview/international application rate. Boston, Jefferson, Loma Linda and Penn State didn't fall into that category.

A 4.0 student at Cornell is mind boggling. Congrats on the hard work. The research is also good, although it would be nice to get published or something. what is your definition of "average" for clinical and EC? Give us some examples

Side note:
whats up with Canadian students applying to American schools? i thought they had respectable schools in Canada??

I noted that I had average ECs because I wanted to remain anonymous....some people on SDN know who I am.

I have 3 great ECs..other than that...I think the rest are not worth mentioning.

ECs:

-Volunteered for the UNRWA(United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East) at a refugee camp in Lebanon. Side note: Caught TB :rolleyes:. Currently getting cured from a latent TB infection.
-Internship at Pfizer.
-Was involved in a $3 million private school construction project(supervised construction, collected donations, helped in building, etc.)
-Volunteer on-call English-Arabic translator.
-Couple of standard clubs.

Clinical:
-150 hours hospital volunteering/50 hours shadowing. I should have 300 hours come application time. I detested shadowing, so I'm most likely not going to be doing it in the future.

A lot of Canadians apply to both Canadian/American schools. Canadian schools are harder to get into than American schools.....