School List Feedback 3.6/522 PA Applicant URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RainbowRock

Reaction score
Hello! I am looking for some advice on my school list, especially in terms of schools that might be worth taking off the list. I will be applying for the 2024/2025 cycle. Additionally, I graduated from undergrad in 2021 (BS Psychology) and did some of my course work at community college (Orgo I & II, Bio II) and at UPenn as a visiting student (Physics I and II, Biochem).
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS : cGPA = 3.63, sGPA = 3.58 (including post-bac work)
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown : 522 (130/132/128/132)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US) : Pennsylvania
  4. Ethnicity and/or race : African American
  5. Undergraduate institution or category : Haverford College, Haverford PA
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer) : Non-volunteer ~ 2000 hrs (EMT + Critical Care Technician); Volunteer ~ 70 hrs
  7. Research experience and productivity : Working as a research technician for about 7 months (~1000 hours), 0 publications so far
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: ~ 80 hours shadowing Interventional Radiology and Emergency Medicine
  9. Non-clinical volunteering : ~ 100 hours working as a tutor for underpriviledged 7th graders + ~ 50 hours working in a food pantry
  10. Other extracurricular activities : Varsity Track and Field in college, club rugby team captain, Co-head of the Black Students League
School List
  1. Thomas Jefferson University
  2. Geisinger Commonwealth
  3. Drexel
  4. Temple
  5. Penn State
  6. Columbia
  7. Cornell
  8. Brown
  9. Albert Einstein
  10. SUNY Downstate
  11. Hackensack Meridian
  12. Emory
  13. Loma Linda
  14. University of Washington
  15. Meharry
  16. Howard
  17. Kaiser Permanente
  18. University of Vermont
  19. Tufts

Members don't see this ad.

U Washington admits very few non residents who are not from states in the Northwest. You could add any of these schools:
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Northwestern
U Chicago
Vanderbilt
Duke
Johns Hopkins
U Penn
Pittsburgh
Mount Sinai
Harvard
Yale
Case Western

Reactions: 1 users
You need more hours in nonclinical volunteering. Tutoring is a separate category, though your students bring underserved 7th graders will be viewed positively. You need at least 150 total hours in this category, which your food bank hours will qualify.

Who is writing your committee letter and supporting letters?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You need more hours in nonclinical volunteering. Tutoring is a separate category, though your students bring underserved 7th graders will be viewed positively. You need at least 150 total hours in this category, which your food bank hours will qualify.

Who is writing your committee letter and supporting letters?
Thank you for the advice! I believe my undergraduate institution does not do a committee letter, but they do a letter packet that includes three professor letters of recommendation. A neuroscience professor of mine who oversaw my thesis work, a french professor who I have a close relationship with, and my biochem professor from the postbac program I took classes in will be my letter writers. My PI from my present research experience will be my supporting letter writer. If I am not understanding the letter process correctly though, please let me know!

U Washington admits very few non residents who are not from states in the Northwest. You could add any of these schools:
Washington University (in St. Louis)
Northwestern
U Chicago
Vanderbilt
Duke
Johns Hopkins
U Penn
Pittsburgh
Mount Sinai
Harvard
Yale
Case Western
Thanks for the heads up! I will switch out UWash!

What are your priorities as far as choosing a school? Location, demographics, mission?

You've got to check the volunteering box. On a good day you've done that. Have at least 300 hours of nonclinical volunteering. Once you've done that, you're good...I wouldn't change your school list other than adding a half dozen top 20s, you seem to be shooting a bit low. To be blunt - Faha's telling you you're aiming too low, IF you have the nonclinical volunteering you need you're competitive for top 20s.

Reactions: 1 user