wamc & school list advice (3.67/513)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

HotChocolate312

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would greatly appreciate any help finalizing my school list for the 26-27 application cycle, as I am new to this process and feel a bit lost. I used Admit.org and did some light research to curate the list I have so far. Thank you in advance!

Stats & Info:

22 y/o Female Ohio resident (and OSU student) with Middle Eastern background and ties to Illinois (lived in Chi)
Completed Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, Certificate of Medical Assisting, and will graduate with a BS in Biochemistry with a minor in bioethics and a BA in Political Science in Spring 2026
Projected cGPA: 3.67
MCAT: 510, 513 (126/128/130/129)

Grateful to have a variety of different research experiences and clinical experiences under my belt that are somewhat interesting and unique, but the general summary is this:

Clinical Paid: 1037 Hours
Clinical Volunteer: 620 Hours
Non-Clinical Volunteer: 440 Hours
Research (including publication from one lab, poster and conference from another): 1020 Hours
Shadowing: 150 Hours spread over 5 specialties
Leadership positions (2): 300 Hours in one, 180 Hours in another

Have received 3 scholarships from the biochemistry department, and one merit scholarship from my school during my college career

I hope to emphasize my refugee background and, in turn, my big service-oriented mission in my writing. Aiming to get Rec Letters from 2 upper level biochem profs, my polisci prof (who doubles as my advisor), the PI I published with, the PI I did poster/conference with, a physician from one of the free clinics I have strong ties with and work at, my manager at my clinical job, and the physician who heads the medical internship that I am president at.

Below is the school list I have curated so far, with a few DO at the bottom. My goal is to apply once and get into MD, but I included DO for insurance. Please let me know if I should add or remove any- I really appreciate ANY insight!

School List
The Ohio State University
Case Western Reserve
Cleveland Clinic Lerner
University of Cincinnati
NEOMED
Wright State University
University of Toledo
Western Michigan
Oakland University
Wayne State University
Jefferson (Kimmel)
Temple University
Drexel University
Penn State University
George Washington
Georgetown University
Loyola University (Stritch)
Rosalind Franklin
Rush University
University of Illinois
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin SOM
Albany Medical College
Wake Forest
Creighton University
VCU
EVMS
University of Vermont UVM
Quinnipiac University
Hackensack Meridian
West Virginia University
University of Louisville
Carver College of Medicine

Ohio University HCOM
MSUCOM
CCOM/MWU
DMU
 
What is the breakdown by hours of your 440 hours of non clinical volunteering?
70 hours food pantry, 70 hours free clinic receptionist, 300 hours as president of hospital affiliated internship that goes around the community raising awareness and teaching CPR- all activities completed over the span of 2-3 years
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
70 hours food pantry, 70 hours free clinic receptionist, 300 hours as president of hospital affiliated internship that goes around the community raising awareness and teaching CPR- all activities completed over the span of 2-3 years
Can you tell me more about the internship. What activities were involved in raising awareness (about ???) and teaching CPR? How many of the 300 hours are involved with leadership and organization for these events? How many people did you train or lead? Define the community whose awareness you were trying to raise.

The other hours seem a little light than what I would prefer, especially as Chicago schools like Loyola and Rush love candidates with hundreds to thousands of hours of community service orientation activities such as food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, legal support, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation.

Also your MCATs seem lower than desirable for Case/Lerner to me. Wright State and OUHCOM really want Ohio residents, so you need to decide. Your Middle Eastern background should be helpful with Michigan schools like Wayne State and Beaumont Oakland, especially if you have a lot of involvement with that community (also see which other schools have AMMSA chapters).
 
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Wright State
NEOMED
Toledo
Ohio State
Cincinnati
West Virginia
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Ponce (St. Louis)
TCU
Roseman
Alice Walton
Belmont
Tulane
NOVA MD
Methodist
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Albany
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Vermont
Quinnipiac
You have a good DO list but could add LECOM, WVSOM, MU-COM and PCOM
 
Can you tell me more about the internship. What activities were involved in raising awareness (about ???) and teaching CPR? How many of the 300 hours are involved with leadership and organization for these events? How many people did you train or lead? Define the community whose awareness you were trying to raise.

The other hours seem a little light than what I would prefer, especially as Chicago schools like Loyola and Rush love candidates with hundreds to thousands of hours of community service orientation activities such as food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, legal support, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation.

Also your MCATs seem lower than desirable for Case/Lerner to me. Wright State and OUHCOM really want Ohio residents, so you need to decide. Your Middle Eastern background should be helpful with Michigan schools like Wayne State and Beaumont Oakland, especially if you have a lot of involvement with that community (also see which other schools have AMMSA chapters).
Hi! I kept it general as to not dox myself and I didn’t see it as necessary information if someone wanted to analyze my school list. Thank you for the input regardless.
 
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Wright State
NEOMED
Toledo
Ohio State
Cincinnati
West Virginia
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Ponce (St. Louis)
TCU
Roseman
Alice Walton
Belmont
Tulane
NOVA MD
Methodist
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Albany
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Vermont
Quinnipiac
You have a good DO list but could add LECOM, WVSOM, MU-COM and PCOM
Will highly consider this, thank you for taking the time to help!
 
Hi! I kept it general as to not dox myself and I didn’t see it as necessary information if someone wanted to analyze my school list. Thank you for the input regardless.
It matters for mission fit, and that will determine how successful you will be. Hours don't show us competency. If all 300 hours goes into the leadership bucket on my rubric, you will have zero service orientation hours, and your application becomes at risk for rejection.