School List Help! 3.6 GPA 32Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjs93

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I was hoping for some help. Since my credentials (listed below) put me in consideration for quite a few schools I am having trouble narrowing them down. I want to apply to around 20 schools. So I wanted to see if anyone had any guidance on the schools I have already chosen and the the others.

THANKS!

3.60 cGPA sGPA similar (Had a relatively poor fresh/soph years but 3.8 average junior/senior year)
MCAT 32Q
Pennsylvania Resident
Georgetown Grad '12

Resume:

CLINICAL EXPERIENCE
Georgetown University School of Nursing & Health Studies
Independent Clinical Research Spring 2012
• Georgetown University IRB approved study to distribute anonymous surveys to anesthesiologists and certified registered nurse anesthetists (CRNA) to assess autonomy, workplace conflict, and overall job satisfaction

Georgetown University Clinical Simulation Center Laboratory Intern 2011-Present
• Responsible for assembly, operation, and breakdown of clinical simulations. Facilitate technical projects, manage simulation logistics, and responsible for general upkeep of the center and its resources

Nurse Anesthesia Program Intern 2011-Present
• Observe, assist, and participate in anesthesia clinical labs including: induction sequences, central line placement, anatomy lessons using cadavers, and intubation
• Shadow anesthesia providers during live procedures and surgeries

Penn State College of Medicine
Ovarian Cancer Laboratory Assistant 2007-2008
• Introduction to microscopy, gel electrophoresis, cell culture, and DNA amplification

Pennsylvania Youth Apprenticeship Program 2006-2008
• Fall 2006-Spring 2007: Rotations through a wide range of disciplines including, but not limited to, family medicine, cardiology, pathology, and ophthalmology at Hershey
Medical Center
• Fall 2007: Semester-long Internship in a High Fidelity Clinical Skills Simulation Lab. Skills included EKG operation, intubation technique, simulation design and implementation
• Spring 2008: Semester-long observation of the Anesthesia Department. Observation of induction sequences, nerve blocks, and anesthesia maintenance in the operating room and pain care centers

INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCE
Fundación Infant: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Summer 2010
• Biomedical research on Respiratory Syncytial Virus, lectures on respiratory viruses and basic immunology, and visits to Argentine hospitals with a team of researchers and physicians

International Service Learning: Costa Rica Spring 2010
• Seminars in tropical medicine, vital signs, pharmacology, and medical Spanish seminars
• Performed diagnoses, community health surveys, and patient triage in rural village clinics

Penn State Hershey Children's Heart Group: Heart of a Child, Guayaquil, Ecuador Fall 2007
• Ten day mission to provide pediatric heart surgeries. Served as a translator for incoming patients, managed patient triage and also observed cardiac surgeries and anesthesia provision
• Intubated two pediatric patients under the supervision of anesthesiologists

SCHOOL LIST

Definite
1. Georgetown
2. GW
3. Drexel
4. Temple
5. Penn State
6. Jefferson
7. Commonwealth
8. Loyola Chicago
9. Rosalind Franklin
10. Tulane
11. BU
12. Rush
13. Wake Forest
14. Wisconsin
15. Maryland

Thinking about these schools:

Tufts
Keck USC
Kentucky
Colorado
Miami (Reach)
Indiana
Louisville
MSU
SLU
Creighton
Albany
Albert Einstein (Reach)
New York Medical College
SUNY Downstate (Reach)
Rochester (Reach)
Medical University of South Carolina
Vermont
VCU
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Tech
Medical College of Wisconsin (Reach)
LSU-NO
Illinois
Hofstra
Arizona-Phoenix
Wayne
Wright
Oakland
Florida schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey I was hoping for some help. Since my credentials (listed below) put me in consideration for quite a few schools I am having trouble narrowing them down. I want to apply to around 20 schools. So I wanted to see if anyone had any guidance on the schools I have already chosen and the the others.

THANKS!

3.60 cGPA sGPA similar (Had a relatively poor fresh/soph years but 3.8 average junior/senior year)
MCAT 32Q
Pennsylvania Resident
Georgetown Grad '12

Resume:

CLINICAL EXPERIENCE
Georgetown University School of Nursing & Health Studies
Independent Clinical Research Spring 2012
• Georgetown University IRB approved study to distribute anonymous surveys to anesthesiologists and certified registered nurse anesthetists (CRNA) to assess autonomy, workplace conflict, and overall job satisfaction

Georgetown University Clinical Simulation Center Laboratory Intern 2011-Present
• Responsible for assembly, operation, and breakdown of clinical simulations. Facilitate technical projects, manage simulation logistics, and responsible for general upkeep of the center and its resources

Nurse Anesthesia Program Intern 2011-Present
• Observe, assist, and participate in anesthesia clinical labs including: induction sequences, central line placement, anatomy lessons using cadavers, and intubation
• Shadow anesthesia providers during live procedures and surgeries

Penn State College of Medicine
Ovarian Cancer Laboratory Assistant 2007-2008
• Introduction to microscopy, gel electrophoresis, cell culture, and DNA amplification

Pennsylvania Youth Apprenticeship Program 2006-2008
• Fall 2006-Spring 2007: Rotations through a wide range of disciplines including, but not limited to, family medicine, cardiology, pathology, and ophthalmology at Hershey
Medical Center
• Fall 2007: Semester-long Internship in a High Fidelity Clinical Skills Simulation Lab. Skills included EKG operation, intubation technique, simulation design and implementation
• Spring 2008: Semester-long observation of the Anesthesia Department. Observation of induction sequences, nerve blocks, and anesthesia maintenance in the operating room and pain care centers

INTERNATIONAL EXPERIENCE
Fundación Infant: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Summer 2010
• Biomedical research on Respiratory Syncytial Virus, lectures on respiratory viruses and basic immunology, and visits to Argentine hospitals with a team of researchers and physicians

International Service Learning: Costa Rica Spring 2010
• Seminars in tropical medicine, vital signs, pharmacology, and medical Spanish seminars
• Performed diagnoses, community health surveys, and patient triage in rural village clinics

Penn State Hershey Children's Heart Group: Heart of a Child, Guayaquil, Ecuador Fall 2007
• Ten day mission to provide pediatric heart surgeries. Served as a translator for incoming patients, managed patient triage and also observed cardiac surgeries and anesthesia provision
• Intubated two pediatric patients under the supervision of anesthesiologists

SCHOOL LIST

Definite
1. Georgetown
2. GW
3. Drexel
4. Temple
5. Penn State
6. Jefferson
7. Commonwealth
8. Loyola Chicago
9. Rosalind Franklin
10. Tulane
11. BU
12. Rush
13. Wake Forest
14. Wisconsin
15. Maryland

Thinking about these schools:

Tufts
Keck USC
Kentucky
Colorado
Miami (Reach)
Indiana
Louisville
MSU
SLU
Creighton
Albany
Albert Einstein (Reach)
New York Medical College
SUNY Downstate (Reach)
Rochester (Reach)
Medical University of South Carolina
Vermont
VCU
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Tech
Medical College of Wisconsin (Reach)
LSU-NO
Illinois
Hofstra
Arizona-Phoenix
Wayne
Wright
Oakland
Florida schools?

Since you are from Pennsylvania, you should get rid of some of the state schools due to in-state preference. So reconsider Maryland, Wisconsin from your "definite" list and Kentucky, Colorado, Indiana, Louisville, MSU, SUNY, South Carolina, Eastern Virginia, LSU, Illinois, Arizona, Wayne, Wright, and definitely do not apply to Florida schools. These schools can have up to 80% in-state students per class so it would be a waste to apply unless you have ridiculous stats. Your stats are great, but they are average for matriculants. I'm not sure about Creighton, Albany, Rochester, Eastern Virginia, Med Wisconsin but they could also have in-state preference. You should apply to more mid-tier and low-tier private schools because they have no in-state preference. Research schools on their websites and see which ones you can envision yourself at based on curriculum, fit, etc.

Your exposure to the medical field is amazing and definitely more than most applicants have, but you don't have any community service or extracurriculars?

Members don't see this ad :)
Certain state schools actually do have decent OOS acceptance rates. Maryland would probably be okay to keep on your list because you're regional (but I agree with dropping Wisconsin). Arizona and LSU have both instituted new policies aimed at accepting higher percentages of OOS applicants in the coming years. The SUNYs are also not too bad for OOSers. The benchmark Catalystik recommends is 15% OOS acceptance rate as reported in the MSAR.

One of the problems with being from PA is that while there are a lot of med schools in the state, none of them have a strong in-state preference, and many of them are among the schools receiving the highest numbers of applications. There are quite a few schools like this on your list, actually.

VCU, Albany, Creighton, SLU, NYMC and Vermont are the schools I would probably leans towards from the second list but it's going to be up to you to decide what schools are fits based on location, curriculum, mission, etc.

VCU, SLU, EVMS and NYMC should be definite. I also agree on Albany.

Thank you all for your responses they were extremely helpful!

So it seems its pretty much the consensus to remove Wisconsin and add VCU, Albany, Creighton, SLU, NYMC and Vermont. Any other suggestions? If I eliminate all of the state schools on my list there aren't a lot of other options to choose from. Any suggestions on what other schools would meet my numbers? Also considering my experience at Penn State Hershey does that give me a better shot at getting in to the medical school there?

I have extra curriculars which are listed below but I never volunteered in a hospital mainly because I didn't think I would have that great of an impact or be qualified to do much. I just graduated and on my year off I will be teaching summer school science classes, tutoring, and hopefully being a research assistant for the rest of the year.

ECs:
HOYAS 4 HEALTHCARE:
Co-Coordinated a 5K run, 2K walk with proceeds benefiting a local, medical-student-run clinic that provides healthcare for homeless and underserved populations throughout the Washington, DC area. The Hoyas for Healthcare 5K raised over $1200 worth of donations for the clinic. The coordination processes required a variety of responsibilities including, but not limited to, applying for sponsorship and donations, event planning, coordinating participants, and community service. I have participated in a variety of community service Internationally but this was a way to give back to the local Washington, DC community

Georgetown University New Student Orientation
Orientation Advisor: Responsible for advising a group of 11 new students to Georgetown University acclimating them to the campus, classes, and student life. Advising continued beyond the first week before classes started and continued throughout the year. Served as a resource on campus, a role model, and a friend to a group of 11 new students.

Delta Phi Epsilon: Professional Foreign Service Fraternity
Brother: A national professional fraternity dedicated to promoting good fellowship among persons studying or engaged in Foreign Service. Participated in speaker events by Foreign Service officers and Georgetown University professors on foreign affairs. Joined to gain further knowledge into the political field of Foreign Service and to meet like-minded individuals interested in service abroad.

Georgetown University Grilling Society
The society grills for the campus community every week. Cooking has been a passion of mine and the society is an integral part of campus life, grilling for charity events such as Relay for Life and Run for Rigby (a memorial 5K to raise awareness for fire safety) as well as various Georgetown collegiate sporting events, clubs, and organizations. Joined as a recreational activity and to connect with the diverse and extensive campus community.

Vice President: Responsible for organizational leadership, event planning, delegating responsibilities, quality control/food safety, as well as financial oversight.

WGTB-Georgetown Radio
Radio DJ: Co-Hosted a live, weekly online radio broadcast available to all students and the public.

Certain state schools actually do have decent OOS acceptance rates. Maryland would probably be okay to keep on your list because you're regional (but I agree with dropping Wisconsin). Arizona and LSU have both instituted new policies aimed at accepting higher percentages of OOS applicants in the coming years. The SUNYs are also not too bad for OOSers. The benchmark Catalystik recommends is 15% OOS acceptance rate as reported in the MSAR.

One of the problems with being from PA is that while there are a lot of med schools in the state, none of them have a strong in-state preference, and many of them are among the schools receiving the highest numbers of applications. There are quite a few schools like this on your list, actually.

VCU, Albany, Creighton, SLU, NYMC and Vermont are the schools I would probably leans towards from the second list but it's going to be up to you to decide what schools are fits based on location, curriculum, mission, etc.

I wouldnt dare argue with something Catalystik said, but I dont understand this. Why is it a good idea to apply to a school with a 15% out of state admittance rate? Hypothetically speaking, if the school has a class of 150 students with anywhere from 2,000-3,000 out of state applicants, you are fighting for 22-23 spots. I dont understand why this would be advised unless you have 3.8+ and 35+.

I wouldnt dare argue with something Catalystik said, but I dont understand this. Why is it a good idea to apply to a school with a 15% out of state admittance rate? Hypothetically speaking, if the school has a class of 150 students with anywhere from 2,000-3,000 out of state applicants, you are fighting for 22-23 spots. I dont understand why this would be advised unless you have 3.8+ and 35+.

I'm assuming 15 % is the bare minimum and the reason is simple, admission is not all about the stats. I've interviewed at schools that were very IS friendly and barely interviewed OOS applicants even though my stats are not competitive. If every school tried to get students with 3.8s and 35s then what would happen to the diversity? Different stats obviously mean different life experiences. I can assure you someone that had a 3.4/29 had a different academic/extracurricular experience than someone with monster stats.

LSU-NO has a blurb on AMCAS saying they are accepting 40 OOS and MSAR says the first year class has 187 students in it.

So about 21% OOS.

I'm assuming 15 % is the bare minimum and the reason is simple, admission is not all about the stats. I've interviewed at schools that were very IS friendly and barely interviewed OOS applicants even though my stats are not competitive. If every school tried to get students with 3.8s and 35s then what would happen to the diversity? Different stats obviously mean different life experiences. I can assure you someone that had a 3.4/29 had a different academic/extracurricular experience than someone with monster stats.

I completely agree that someone with lower stats can bring just as much, if not more, to a class than someone with higher stats. However, I thought it was common knowledge that in order to get accepted as an out of state student to a school with in-state preference, you have to have ridiculous numbers. I guess that's not the case though. Good to know.

I completely agree that someone with lower stats can bring just as much, if not more, to a class than someone with higher stats. However, I thought it was common knowledge that in order to get accepted as an out of state student to a school with in-state preference, you have to have ridiculous numbers. I guess that's not the case though. Good to know.

At least anecdotally (from an Adcom at one state school), schools are looking more to put together a good incoming class with a mix of backgrounds and if you can bring something to that group that other candidates don't have then that will be to your advantage even if you don't have monster stats. OP, no one is saying to drop all of the state schools, but you should discriminate between the state schools where it is worth applying and the ones where it isn't.

Also considering my experience at Penn State Hershey does that give me a better shot at getting in to the medical school there?

I would be careful not to make this assumption. I personally know a few applicants that were not accepted even though they had very extensive research ties to Hershey. This is not to say that your application is not competitive at Penn State but you should not take it as a given acceptance because of your experiences there. (Might make for a nice interview topic though!)

I'm sure there was less studying, less research, less volunteering, less shadowing, and less hard work in general. Yay diversity