MD School List Help - 3.62 cGPA/520 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wetzelhm

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My concern is that my GPA is too low despite my consistent upward trend for any MD schools. My volunteer hours also feel kinda weak. It feels like the only thing going for me is my MCAT score. I'm taking another gap year before applying, so if anybody has any tips on strengthening my application volunteer wise, I would appreciate that advice. But, if I were to apply with my application as it is, what MD schools should I be applying to? With suggested added volunteer work, what schools should I apply to?

Residency: Washington State
Race/Gender: White Female
MCAT: 520
Cumulative GPA: 3.62 (Freshman: 3.04 | Sophomore: 3.11 | Junior: 4.00 | Senior: 4.00)
Science GPA: 3.46 (Upward trend)
Introductory BiologyAll As
General ChemistryOne C+, retook for an A | As for the rest of the series
Organic ChemistryAll As
BiochemistryAll As
Physics (Calculus Based)D+, retook for a C+ | B- in the next class in the series | A in the final class of the series
Mathematics (Calculus 1&2 and Statistics)C+ in Calculus 1 | D+ in Calculus 2, retook but had to withdraw due to personal reasons | Retook again and received an A
The classes that aren't As were taken during my Freshman and Sophomore year.

Research: ~550 hours, 1 publication. Presented research at a conference
Volunteer (Clinical): ~800 hours as a Scribe
Volunteer (Non-Clinical): ~500 hours as a Crisis Clinic Phone-line Operator
Shadowing: 60 hours in 5 different specialties
Leadership: I have been a shift lead at a fast food restaurant for 4 years.

Schools that I already planned on applying to:
University of Washington (State School)
Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine (State School)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your EC's are fine. You could apply to these OOS schools also:
Kaiser
California University
Boston University
Tufts
Vermont
Hofstra
Einstein
NYU
Mount Sinai
Rochester
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Georgetown
Duke
Miami
Case Western
Cincinnati
Ohio State
U Michigan
Western Michigan
St. Louis
Washington University
Tulane

Reactions: 1 user
Your volunteering is fine. Maybe you could do something like tutor underprivileged kids or work in a hospice. But as you stand, your ECs are fine and you're a good example of reinvention.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your volunteering is fine. Maybe you could do something like tutor underprivileged kids or work in a hospice. But as you stand, your ECs are fine and you're a good example of reinvention.

On the note of reinvention, I remember reading somewhere that there are some schools that reward applicants with stories of reinvention. @Faha, does the school list you posted have any of these schools? If so, which ones?

On the note of reinvention, I remember reading somewhere that there are some schools that reward applicants with stories of reinvention. @Faha, does the school list you posted have any of these schools? If so, which ones?
Yes, there are many schools on that list that reward reinvention (Goro has a list of all schools).

My concern is that my GPA is too low despite my consistent upward trend for any MD schools. My volunteer hours also feel kinda weak. It feels like the only thing going for me is my MCAT score. I'm taking another gap year before applying, so if anybody has any tips on strengthening my application volunteer wise, I would appreciate that advice. But, if I were to apply with my application as it is, what MD schools should I be applying to? With suggested added volunteer work, what schools should I apply to?

Residency: Washington State
Race/Gender: White Female
MCAT: 520
Cumulative GPA: 3.62 (Freshman: 3.04 | Sophomore: 3.11 | Junior: 4.00 | Senior: 4.00)
Science GPA: 3.46 (Upward trend)
Introductory BiologyAll As
General ChemistryOne C+, retook for an A | As for the rest of the series
Organic ChemistryAll As
BiochemistryAll As
Physics (Calculus Based)D+, retook for a C+ | B- in the next class in the series | A in the final class of the series
Mathematics (Calculus 1&2 and Statistics)C+ in Calculus 1 | D+ in Calculus 2, retook but had to withdraw due to personal reasons | Retook again and received an A
The classes that aren't As were taken during my Freshman and Sophomore year.

Research: ~550 hours, 1 publication. Presented research at a conference
Volunteer (Clinical): ~800 hours as a Scribe
Volunteer (Non-Clinical): ~500 hours as a Crisis Clinic Phone-line Operator
Shadowing: 60 hours in 5 different specialties
Leadership: I have been a shift lead at a fast food restaurant for 4 years.

Schools that I already planned on applying to:
University of Washington (State School)
Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine (State School)

Thanks!
I suggest:
NYU
Vanderbilt
WashU
Northwestern
Columbia
Mayo
Sinai
BU
UCSF
Duke