MD School list help(3.89, 505)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BAH94

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was wondering if I could get some input on a school list. I have a 3.89 GPA, biochemistry major. MCAT 2015 is a 505, ~29 based on percentiles to the old test. I am involved with good EC'S. I am a varsity athlete, about 400 hours a year for that, part of an on campus volunteering organization ~60 hours of community volunteering, and part of tri-beta biolgy honor society where I was just elected vice president. I also am part of an on campus leadership academy. I have about 90 hours of shadowing across several specialties as well as a general practitioner. I also am currently doing summer research at a well known research hospital. What do you think my chances are and any input on where to apply would be great! I'm looking to apply to 15-20 schools. More than that isn't feasible in my current financial situation.

Illinois resident:
All Illinois schools and Chicago schools except university of Chicago
Medical College of Wisconsin
Michigan State
Saint Louis University

I've got about 7 on my list now, any advice on where else to apply?

Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Cut Michigan State( you aren't getting in OOS with a 29 MCAT). Northwestern is purely a fantasy with a 29 MCAT; don't waste money giving donations to schools that don't need them. What part of Illinois are you from? It better be central or southern Illinois if you want to apply to SIU

You need to look at schools that have MCATs within your range.
Here some to consider. Google schools websites for average MCATs and absolutely purchase MSAR at all costs.

VCU: 30-31
Temple: 31-32
Loma Linda: 30(read the list of donts)
Creighton: 30-31
Saint Louis: 32-33
Miami: 32-33
Loyola: 32
Tufts: 33
George Washington: 30
Georgetown: 32
Rosalind Franklin; 31
Loyola: 32-33
Jefferson: 31-32
Medical College Wisconsin: 30-31
Wake Forest: 32
Drexel: 31
New York Medical College: 31-32
Albany: 32
Rush: 31-32
Eastern Virginia: 32
Tulane: 33
Penn State: 30
Vermont: 31
Quinnipac: 31
Oakland: 30-31
Western Michigan: 31

With a MCAT of 29 you need to apply to at least 25 schools and @GrapesofRath has given you a good list. Michigan State and Northwestern are unrealistic for the reasons he mentioned.