MD School List Help: 3.95/522

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AggressiveRaspberry

Reaction score
Hi! I am trying to tell what a reasonable school list would be for me, but it is kind of difficult to judge myself since COVID has been so disruptive. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    1. cGPA: 3.95, sGPA: 3.92
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    1. MCAT score: 522 (132/128/132/130)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    1. TN
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    1. ORM (Asian)
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    1. T20 University (research oriented)
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. Volunteered at a health clinic for 30 hours over one semester.
    2. Volunteered at a hospital: around 85 hours over 10 months before COVID paused the program.
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. Around 600 hours of research over 2 years: 1 co-author publication, 1 co-authorship for an abstract, 1 second author publication that is about to be submitted
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. Unfortunately my only shadow experiences are virtual- 40 hours. However, I was very recently able to get fully vaccinated and feel much more comfortable reaching out about shadowing in-person. I am hoping to secure an opportunity before submitting my primary.
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. 140 hours tutoring underserved middle schoolers during school semesters over 2 years (went virtual for COVID)
    2. 80 hours served as a volunteer camp counselor over 2 years
    3. 30 hours at a local food shelter
    4. 60 hours as part of Red Cross Club on campus where we organized blood drives and held classes for the community
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. TA for a science course (40 hours), secretary and president of a tutoring club at school, treasurer of Red Cross
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. N/A
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. N/A
Current School List:
Johns Hopkins
Harvard
University of Pennsylvania
Stanford
Michigan
Washington University in St. Louis
Columbia
Duke
Vanderbilt
Cornell
Northwestern
Mayo (MN)
U Chicago
Pitt
Emory
NYU
University of Virginia
Ohio State
Sinai
UCSF
UCLA
Einstein
Hofstra
USC
USF-Morani
Wisconsin
Colorado
Cincinnati
Boston U
University of Tennessee
East Tennessee State University

Am I overshooting?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should receive several interviews from your list. Your lack of shadowing and limited clinical exposure will limit your chances for interviews at the top tier schools.

@Faha Thank you for your feedback! Do you think I am uncompetitive for the top tier schools then? I have been trying to get more clinical exposure, but it has been difficult where I live.

@Goro I don't know if it is proper etiquette to ping someone like this, but do you have any thoughts as well? I'm sorry if this is rude and thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your list is appropriate. You could add Case Western, Yale, Rochester.

@Faha Thank you for your feedback! Do you think I am uncompetitive for the top tier schools then? I have been trying to get more clinical exposure, but it has been difficult where I live.

@Goro I don't know if it is proper etiquette to ping someone like this, but do you have any thoughts as well? I'm sorry if this is rude and thank you!
You could receive interviews at top tier schools but they are less likely than an applicant with several hundred hours of clinical exposure.

You need more clinical exposure and will be crowded out by candidates with more hours.

The lack of shadowing may be severe, especially with the amount of ADCOMs who consider it to be absolutely critical. I would also agree that top schools want more clinical exposure, but if you write well about your current clinical exposure, that weakness can be mitigate it to a large extent. I would say at least get a few (10 hrs) of shadowing before you submit so that you don’t lose with ADCOMs that require it, but you are likely to get interviews as it stands.