School list help: 3.98 / 524 (cookie-cutter ECs and concerned about yield protection)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daffodil017

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m having difficulty crafting a school list. My stats are competitive but my ECs aren’t all that special. Also pretty worried about getting yield protected.

Biology major

cGPA: 3.95

sGPA: 3.98

MCAT: 524 (131/130/131/132)

Florida resident

ORM female

Initially went to a prestigious undergraduate business school. However, during my time there I realized that I while I enjoyed learning about business, I would not be satisfied with my job upon graduation. Due to the high cost of my institution, I transferred to a state school (USWNS rank: ~100) where I received a full scholarship, thereby allowing me to more easily afford medical school. This was outlined in my personal statement.

Clinical:

3,000 hours - ER medical scribe

300 hours - hospital volunteering

Research:

300 hours clinical research assistant

550 hours neuroscience lab research assistant

No publications or posters

Leadership:

300 hours as program director for a pilot ICU volunteer program

60 hours organizing PPE donation efforts to emergency rooms in my county during COVID

Shadowing:

100 shadowing hours (primary care, infectious disease, and I shadowed an ER medical director from the administrative perspective)

Misc:

Emphasized my interest in technical SCUBA diving and current preparations to become a certified cave diver. I also discussed a one-month study abroad experience earning my AAUS scientific diver certification and working on coral restoration efforts in the Caribbean.

School List:

NYU

Columbia

Cornell

Harvard

Yale

UPenn

Northwestern

UChicago

Baylor

Kaiser

Icahn

Einstein

Rochester

Pittsburg

Emory

Brown | really liked the school despite low yield

Boston University | really liked the school despite low yield

University of Miami

University of Florida

USF Morsani

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good list and should receive several interviews. You could add these schools:
Washington University (almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
Case Western
Duke
U Virginia
USC Keck
UCSF

Reactions: 1 user