School List Help (37, C3.69, S3.67) Thanks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dopedamine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I've been a longtime lurker and I would love some input from you guys now that I am finally applying. I've been reading some other posts of school lists and I'm amazed with the feedback, so hoping for some for myself! Any and all help is appreciated!

CA resident, M, Asian, Undergrad at Ivy

Cum. GPA: 3.69 (rocky start around mid3.5s 1st and 2nd year, pulled up with some high 3.8's in 3rd and 4th year)

BCPM GPA: 3.67

MCAT: 37 (15 physical, 11 verbal, 11 bio)

-105 hours of shadowing

-170 hours hospital volunteering high school / 80 hours in Fr/Soph summer & 110 hours in Jr/Sr summer during college

-300 hours research assistant (no publications)

-300 hours lab assistant (nothing major, basic lab chores and exposure)

-VP of premed honor society

-College Ambassador

-Various leadership roles in fraternity

-Co-captain of school dragon boat team

-Worked as cashier in campus store one summer & 3-year employee of annual fund

-3 spring breaks of Habitat for Humanity volunteer work trips

-Joined National Society of Collegiate Scholars

**I did include an institutional action. Person accused me of harassment but school dismissed allegation after no evidence. Had a no contact directive (restraining order basically) from school. Bumped into person randomly off campus who reported it. Technical violation meant counseling, a reflection paper, and a record that'll last a year after graduation.

Reaches: Duke, UCSF, Weill, Northwestern, UPenn, Yale, Columbia, UPitt

Target: USC, UCLA, UCI, UCSD, Tufts, BU, Mayo, Rochester, Dartmouth, Brown, Emory, Case Western, Georgetown

Safety: UCR, UCDavis, Tulane, Drexel, St. Louis, George Washington, Wake Forest, Creighton

I could obviously be wrong about some of my school classifications, so any insight is appreciated. I know I have to apply more broadly at a higher volume to account for the difficulty as a CA resident. At the same time, I'm afraid of applying to too many, because that's overkill and exhausting. I'm definitely open to more safety schools too, because I don't want to overestimate myself. Basically, my list is still very flexible and I am open to suggestions! Thanks for taking the time to help a fellow premed out.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Stats are good, shadowing good, volunteering good, leadership good, research a little light. I have no idea how much that IA will affect you - this could be anywhere from trivial to make or break.

Your list is decent. I would remove Brown, UCR unless you are from the area, and replace both Georges with mid-tiers. Personally I'd go with Jefferson or Temple over Drexel. There is room to expand the list with more mid-tiers if the IA turns out to be worthy of concern.

Stats are good, shadowing good, volunteering good, leadership good, research a little light. I have no idea how much that IA will affect you - this could be anywhere from trivial to make or break.

Your list is decent. I would remove Brown, UCR unless you are from the area, and replace both Georges with mid-tiers. Personally I'd go with Jefferson or Temple over Drexel. There is room to expand the list with more mid-tiers if the IA turns out to be worthy of concern.

Thanks for the input! Could you explain the reasoning for your suggestions? Just seeking a little insight. Why remove the George's and Brown and why replace Drexel with either of those? Any suggestions for solid mid-tiers for CA residents? UCR is UC Riverside, so a state school for me in case UCR stands for another school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Brown has a small class and takes a lot from their own undergrad,
UCR has most of its seats reserved for applicants from the inland empire. Don't bother if you aren't from there.
The Georges are some of the highest application volume schools in the country. Both are also very expensive. People usually only apply if they are interested in being in D.C. and healthcare policy, or if they have to because of low stats.
Drexel is typically regarded as the worst of the Philly triplets. You're adding those schools as safeties, so you might as well go for the better ones. They also have a reputation for ignoring higher stat applicants.

Brown has a small class and takes a lot from their own undergrad,
UCR has most of its seats reserved for applicants from the inland empire. Don't bother if you aren't from there.
The Georges are some of the highest application volume schools in the country. Both are also very expensive. People usually only apply if they are interested in being in D.C. and healthcare policy, or if they have to because of low stats.
Drexel is typically regarded as the worst of the Philly triplets. You're adding those schools as safeties, so you might as well go for the better ones. They also have a reputation for ignoring higher stat applicants.

Gotcha. Yeah I've removed Brown from my list. Replacing it with Einstein. Considering switching Emory for NYU or Mt. Sinai too, but Emory's numbers are just a tiny bit lower. What do you think? I'm switching Drexel for Jefferson based on the threads comparing the three. I've also added Vermont as a safety. Any recommendations for replacing the George's?

I would apply to Emory and the manhattan schools. Other schools to consider: Miami, OSU, Vanderbilt, Hofstra, SUNY Downstate, SUNY Stony Brook

I would apply to Emory and the manhattan schools. Other schools to consider: Miami, OSU, Vanderbilt, Hofstra, SUNY Downstate, SUNY Stony Brook

@unnumzaan thank you for responding. Your input has helped so much. Best wishes!

Great application, good list.

Consider removing Brown, Gtown, and GWU. Replace with NYU, Mt. Sinai, Miami, Ohio State.

Also replace Drexel with Temple or Jefferson, which are considered better schools.

Great application, good list.

Consider removing Brown, Gtown, and GWU. Replace with NYU, Mt. Sinai, Miami, Ohio State.

Also replace Drexel with Temple or Jefferson, which are considered better schools.

@Banco Thanks for the input! I've already swapped out Brown for NYU and Mt. Sinai and Drexel with Jefferson. Can I ask why Ohio State and Miami? I feel like it'd be wise to have more safety schools instead, because I would think that I have enough target schools. Why not Hofstra, Loyola Stritch, or Rosalind Franklin instead?

Nothing wrong with aiming high. Your GPAs are < avg for the top schools, but the MCAT is nothing to sneeze at.

I suggest:

UCSF, Harvard (yes, Harvard), OR Yale OR UPenn,, Columbia OR Weill, UPitt OR Northwestern,

USC, UCLA, UCI, UCSD, Tufts, BU, Mayo, Rochester, Emory, Case Western,

UCR (only if you're from the Inland Empire)

UCDavis, Tulane, Wake Forest, Creighton, U Miami, Einstein, Hofstra, Rochester, Vanderbilt OR Duke, U AZ, U VM, SUNY SB and SUNY DS (maybe), Loyola

Nothing wrong with aiming high. Your GPAs are < avg for the top schools, but the MCAT is nothing to sneeze at.

I suggest:

UCSF, Harvard (yes, Harvard), OR Yale OR UPenn,, Columbia OR Weill, UPitt OR Northwestern,

USC, UCLA, UCI, UCSD, Tufts, BU, Mayo, Rochester, Emory, Case Western,

UCR (only if you're from the Inland Empire)

UCDavis, Tulane, Wake Forest, Creighton, U Miami, Einstein, Hofstra, Rochester, Vanderbilt OR Duke, U AZ, U VM, SUNY SB and SUNY DS (maybe), Loyola

Thank you! Just wondering, why the SUNYs when they're so IS-heavy? I've noticed you suggesting AZ to a number of CA residents. Is it because I'm close regionally? I've always subscribed to the mentality that applying to OOS public schools is a waste regardless of stats. Are NYU and Icahn worth considering over Emory? I went to Cornell so I have a soft spot for NY including the city. Lastly, while I completely respect your suggestions and expertise, is there any disadvantage to applying to all the reaches that I listed or would it be a waste of money? Can't thank you enough for taking the time out of your day.

They seem to like CA applicants, according to gyngyn.

Just wondering, why the SUNYs when they're so IS-heavy?

Yup.
I've noticed you suggesting AZ to a number of CA residents. Is it because I'm close regionally?

For many schools and applicants, it is. But if you scan through MSAR some public schools have a decent (15-20%) of the matriculants from OOS. However, it is harder to land the II in the first place.

I've always subscribed to the mentality that applying to OOS public schools is a waste regardless of stats.

More competitive than Emory. Proceed with caution.
Are NYU and Icahn worth considering over Emory?

That's why I have the OR in between the names. Some reaches are OK. Your GPAs are still > the 10th percentile for a number of top schools, so a few reaches are OK. But all of them? They don't need the donation money.
Lastly, while I completely respect your suggestions and expertise, is there any disadvantage to applying to all the reaches that I listed or would it be a waste of money?

Reactions: 1 user