School list help (515, 3.5 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA, non-trad)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rootsmagoo

Reaction score
I was strongly planning on going to my state school which has a 510 average MCAT. I wanted to apply to about 12 schools, though. I'm not sure how far to reach. I've been an attorney for 8 years with 22,000 hours of work experience. I've primarily advocated for disabled individuals; however, I did do some corporate law at the start of my legal career. I also have 1,500 hours of non-clinical volunteering, 150 hours of clinical volunteering, 1,200 hours of research in a lab (no publications yet), and 60 hours of shadowing.

My sGPA is 3.81 but my cGPA is only 3.51. I did a DIY post bacc and got a 4.0 in all my pre-reqs. I see most have a high cGPA but lower sGPA. When looking at WARS and MSARS, should I consider my sGPA as my GPA or my cGPA? I read that BCPM is more important, but all of these resources seem to rely on the cumulative.

Is it worth applying to Georgetown, Emory, Northwestern, Dartmouth, etc.? Just because of my age, I'm not sure I'd want to spend that much money when my state school is about 1/3 cheaper at $25,000 a year.

I'd really appreciate some other opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

You should def apply to more than just your state school, a list of 15-20 schools is probably what you need to be at just based on the #s these days.

Do you have an MCAT score yet? If not, come back to us once you do.