School List Help for a Couple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrazilianRider

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've seen a couple of these posted around, and figured I might as well get some opinions on my school list considering how well the other posts have been going. The problem is, however, that my girlfriend and I are trying to get into the same Dental school. I know this is tough, but I'd like to hear from you all which schools we both have a decent shot at getting into.

My Stats: So I started off tanking college, had a 2.75 oGPA this time last year, and then busted my butt for the last year and ended up getting a 3.97 oGPA over the last 47 hours, which bumped me up to a 3.3 oGPA and a 3.23ish sGPA (maybe a little higher if a class I'm taking now counts, but I'm not sure so I'll give the low-ball estimate).

My DAT is 23 AA/ 23 TS/ 24 PAT/ 25 RC

Extracurriculars include 100+ hours Shadowing at General Dentist, Orthodontist and Pedontist; 100+ hours volunteering (60 of those at my school's Dental School clinics); 3 semesters research; Pre-ASDA member for two semesters and another dental club for one semester.

Her Stats: She did not make the same mistakes I did. She has a 3.48 oGPA and a 3.40 sGPA (I'm pretty sure).

Her DAT is 20 AA/ 19 TS/ 20 PAT/ 22 RC

Extracurriculars are the same as mine, except she only has one semester of research.

---

Both of us have four strong LoR's, two from science teachers, one from non-science and one from the dentists we shadowed (different dentists lol). We're also both URMs if that helps at all. She'll probably submit her application before the end of the month, but I have to wait until the last week so that my Summer A classes will be on my transcript, but I'll have mine in no later than the second week of July.

We're from Florida, so we're hitting up all the state schools first. We both want to apply to ~15 schools total, so here's what our list looks like right now:

UF
NOVA
LECOM
Kentucky
Louisville
Tennessee
NYU
Boston
Tufts
UDM
Western
Midwestern-AZ
Midwestern-IL
Temple
Pitt
Case

What do you guys think? Do we have any shot of both getting in somewhere with this list? What would you guys recommend?

Thanks a ton for all the help guys, you all have saved my butt a few times!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
sorry i have nothing to add but i just wanted to say good luck! looks like you guys have similar stats if you factor GPA and DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only thing I'd add is that Tennessee will be really tough to get in for both of you. Otherwise, great list of schools

I'm a Florida resident as well and my list is pretty similar to yours.

Will you both get interviews at a fair number of those schools? More than likely. Will you both get accepted to at least one of those schools? Probably. The only question I have is if you're indicating at all your intentions of going to the same school as your significant other in your personal statement(s) or if you're planning on saying anything about it in your interviews. I applied last year and my girlfriend goes to Pitt. By the grace of God, I got accepted there and life is peachy, but I made the decision early on not to mention this at all in any of my interviews as I didn't want to give the impression to other schools that I only wanted to go to Pitt, nor did I want to give Pitt the impression that I only wanted to go to their school because she went there.

PS Pitt has people from Florida (UF mostly) in every class year.

Why do you want to go to FU?

j/k
I'm from Florida, as well. Haven't lived there since 2006. Big time FSU fan.

Good list, IMO.

Why do you want to go to FU?

j/k
I'm from Florida, as well. Haven't lived there since 2006. Big time FSU fan.

Good list, IMO.

Aww, and I thought we could be good friends!

Once a Gator, (hopefully) always a Gator!

Will you both get interviews at a fair number of those schools? More than likely. Will you both get accepted to at least one of those schools? Probably. The only question I have is if you're indicating at all your intentions of going to the same school as your significant other in your personal statement(s) or if you're planning on saying anything about it in your interviews. I applied last year and my girlfriend goes to Pitt. By the grace of God, I got accepted there and life is peachy, but I made the decision early on not to mention this at all in any of my interviews as I didn't want to give the impression to other schools that I only wanted to go to Pitt, nor did I want to give Pitt the impression that I only wanted to go to their school because she went there.

PS Pitt has people from Florida (UF mostly) in every class year.

Yeah - I wouldn't mention anything about gf/bf in your interviews. If you were married and lets say your wife was accepted in Dec., and you were interviewing in February, that's the only case I could see someone mentioning it. Stats wise though, I think you will be more competitive than your gf...with this I predict you getting interviews earlier..but be patient with it all and good luck.

This is a terrible list